Attention!
Tired of see ads while studying? Now you can enjoy an "Ads Free" version of the site for as little as 10¢ a day.

Bible Dictionaries

Easton's Bible Dictionary

Ekron

Additional Links
Firm-rooted, the most northerly of the five towns belonging to the lords of the Philistines, about 11 miles north of Gath. It was assigned to Judah (Joshua 13:3 ), and afterwards to (Daniel 19:43 ), but came again into the full possession of the Philistines (1 Samuel 5:10 ). It was the last place to which the Philistines carried the ark before they sent it back to Israel (1 Samuel 5:10; 6:1-8 ). There was here a noted sanctuary of Baal-zebub (2 Kings 1 :: 23616,3,6,16 ). Now the small village Akir. It is mentioned on monuments in B.C. 702, when Sennacherib set free its king, imprisoned by Hezekiah in Jerusalem, according to the Assyrian record.

Map of Location

Copyright Statement
These dictionary topics are from M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition, published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain.

Bibliography Information
Easton, Matthew George. Entry for 'Ekron'. Easton's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/ebd/e/ekron.html. 1897.

Search for…
Enter query in the box below:
Choose a letter to browse:
Prev Entry
Ehud
Next Entry
El-Bethel