Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
CAUSE, n. s as z.
1. A suit or action in court any legal process which a party institutes to obtain his demand, or by which he seeks his right or his supposed right. This is a legal, scriptural and popular use of the word, coinciding nearly with case from cado, and action from ago, to urge or drive.
The cause of both parties shall come before the judges. Exodus 22 .
2. That which produces an effect that which impels into existence, or by its agency or operation produces what did not before exist that by virtue of which any thing is done that from which any thing proceeds, and without which it would not exist.
Cause is a substance exerting its power into act, to make a thing begin to be.
3. The reason or motive that urges, moves, or impels the mind to act or decide.
For this cause have I raised up Pharaoh. Exodus 9 .
And David said, is there not a cause? 1 Samuel 17 .
4. Sake account.
I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong. 2 Corinthians 6 . See Sake.
5. That which a party or nation pursues or rather pursuit, prosecution of an object. We say, Bible Societies are engaged in a noble cause. See the first definition. Hence the word cause is used to denote that which a person or thing favors that to which the efforts of an intelligent being are directed as, to promote religion is to advance the cause of God. So we say, the cause of truth or of justice. In all its applications, cause retains something of its original meaning, struggle, impelling force, contest, effort to obtain or to effect something.
6. Without cause, without good reason without a reason or motive to justify the act.
They hate me without cause. Psalms 35 . 69 .
1. To produce to bring into existence.
They caused great joy to all the brethren. Acts 15 .
2. To effect by agency, power or influence.
I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days. Genesis 7 .
I will cause him to fall by the sword. 2 Kings 19 .
CAUSE, To assign insufficient cause.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Cause'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/c/cause.html.