Click here to join the effort!
King James Dictionary
FACE, n. L., to make.
1. In a general sense, the surface of a thing, or the side which presents itself to the view of a spectator as the face of the earth the face of the waters.
2. A part of the surface of a thing or the plane surface of a solid. Thus, a cube or die has six faces an octahedron has eight faces.
3. The surface of the fore part of an animals head, particularly of the human head the visage.
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread. Genesis 3 .
Joseph bowed himself with his face to the earth. Genesis 48 .
4. Countenance cast of features look air of the face.
We set the best face on it we could.
5. The front of a thing the forepart the flat surface that presents itself first to view as the face of a house. Ezekiel 41 .
6. Visible state appearance.
This would produce a new face of things in Europe.
7. Appearance look.
Nor heaven, nor sea, their former face retained.
His dialogue has the face of probability.
8. State of confrontation. The witnesses were presented face to face.
9. Confidence boldness impudence a bold front.
He has the face to charge others with false citations.
10. Presence sight as in the phrases, before the face, in the face, to the face, from the face.
11. The person.
I had not thought to see thy face. Genesis 48 .
12. In scripture, face is used for anger or favor.
Hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne. Revelation 6 .
Make thy face to shine on thy servant. Psalms 31 .
How long wilt thou hide thy face from me? Psalms 8 .
Hence, to seek the face, that is, to pray to, to seek the favor of.
To set the face against, is to oppose.
To accept ones face, is to show him favor or grant his request. So, to entreat the face, is to ask favor but these phrases are nearly obsolete.
13. A distorted form of the face as in the phrase, to make faces, or to make wry faces.
Face to face
1. When both parties are present as, to have accusers face to face. Acts 25 .
2. Nakedly without the interposition of any other body.
Now we see through a glass, darkly but then face to face. 1 Corinthians 13 .
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Face'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/f/face.html.