free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
FALSE, a. L. falsus, from fallo, to deceive. See Fall and Fail.
1. Not true not conformable to fact expressing what is contrary to that which exists, is done, said or thought. A false report communicates what is not done or said. A false accusation imputes to a person what he has not done or said. A false witness testifies what is not true. A false opinion is not according to truth or fact. The word is applicable to any subject, physical or moral.
2. Not well founded as a false claim.
3. Not true not according to the lawful standard as a false weight or measure.
4. Substituted for another succedaneous supposititious as a false bottom.
5. Counterfeit forged not genuine as false coin a false bill or note.
6. Not solid or sound deceiving expectations as a false foundation
False and slippery ground.
7. Not agreeable to rule or propriety as false construction in language.
8. Not honest or just not fair as false play.
9. Not faithful or loyal treacherous perfidious deceitful. The king's subjects may prove false to him. So we say, a false heart.
10. Unfaithful inconstant as a false friend a false lover false to promises and vows.
The husband and wife proved false to each other.
11. Deceitful treacherous betraying secrets.
12. Counterfeit not genuine or real as a false diamond.
13. Hypocritical feigned made or assumed for the purpose of deception as false tears false modesty. The man appears in false colors. The advocate gave the subject a false coloring.
False fire, a blue flame, made by the burning of certain combustibles, in a wooden tube used as a signal during the night.
False imprisonment, the arrest and imprisonment of a person without warrant or cause, or contrary to law or the unlawful detaining of a person in custody.
FALSE, adv. Not truly not honestly falsely.
1. To violate by failure of veracity to deceive. Obs.
2. To defeat to balk to evade. Obs.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'False'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/f/false.html.