Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
SEVER'ITY, n. L. sveritas.
1. Harshness rigor austerity want of mildness or indulgence as the severity of a reprimand or reproof.
2. Rigor extreme strictness as the severity of discipline or government.
3. Excessive figor extreme degree or amount. Severity of penalties or punishments often defeats the object by exciting pity.
4. Extremity quality or power of distressing as the severity of pain or anguish.
5. Extreme degree as the severity of cold or heat.
6. Extreme coldness or inclemency as the severity of the winter.
7. Harshness cruel treatment sharpness of punishment as severity practiced on prisoners of war.
8. Exactness rigor niceness as the severity of a test.
9. Strictness rigid accuracy.
Confining myself to the severity of truth. Dryden.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Severity'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/s/severity.html.