Consider helping today!
King James Dictionary
1. A male child the male issue of a parent, father or mother. Jacob had twelve sons. Ishmael was the son of Hagar by Abraham.
2. A male descendant, however distant hence in the plural, sons signifies descendants in general, a sense much used in the Scriptures. The whole human race are styled sons of Adam.
3. The compellation of an old man to a young one, or of a confessor to his penitent a term of affection. Eli called Samuel his son. Be plain, good son, and home y in thy drift.
4. A native or inhabitant of a country as the sons of Britain. Let our country never be ashamed of her sons.
5. The produce of any thing. Earth's tall sons, the cedar, oak and pine. Note. The primary sense of child is produce, issue a shoot.
6. One adopted into a family. Moses was the son of Pharaoh's daughter. Exodus 2 .
7. One who is converted by another's instrumentality, is called his son also, one educated by another as the sons of the prophets.
8. Christ is called the Son of God, as being conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, or in consequence of his relation to the Father.
9. Son of pride, sons of light, son of Belial. These are Hebraisms, which denote that persons possess the qualities of pride, of light, or of Belial, as children inherit the qualities of their ancestors.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Son'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/s/son.html.