King James Dictionary
TAL'ENT, n. L. talentum Gr. to bear, allied to L. tollo. The word is said to have originally signified a balance or scales.
1. Among the ancients, a weight, and a coin. The true value of the talent cannot well be ascertained, but it is known that it was different among different nations. The Attic Talent, the weight, contained 60 Attic minae, or 6000 Attic drachmae, equal to 56 pounds, eleven ounces, English troy weight. The mina being reckoned equal to f3 4s.7d. sterling, or fourteen dollars and a third nearly, the talent was of the value of f193 15s sterling, about dollars. Other computations make it f225 sterling.
The Romans had the great talent and the little talent the great talent is computed to be equal to f99 6s. 8d. sterling, and the little talent to f75 sterling.
2. Talent, among the Hebrews, was also a gold coin, the same with a shekel of gold called also stater, and weighing only four drachmas.
But the Hebrew talent of silver, called cicar, was equivalent to three thousand shekels, or one hundred and thirteen pounds, ten ounces and a fraction, troy weight.
3. Faculty natural gift or endowment a metaphorical application of the word, said to be borrowed from the Scriptural parable of the talents. Matthew 25
He is chiefly to be considered in his three different talents, as a critic, a satirist, and a writer of odes.
'Tis not my talent to conceal my thoughts.
4. Eminent abilities superior genius as, he is a man of talents.
Talent, in the singular, is sometimes used in a like sense.
5. Particular faculty skill. He has a talent at drawing.
6. Sp. talante, manner of performing any thing, will, disposition. Quality disposition.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Talent'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/t/talent.html.