Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
TEST'IMONY, n. L. testimonium. A solemn declaration or affirmation made for the purpose of establishing or proving some fact. Such affirmation in judicial proceedings,may be verbal or written, but must be under oath. Testimony differs from evidence testimony is the declaration of a witness, and evidence is the effect of that declaration on the mind, or the degree of light which it affords.
1. Affirmation declaration. These doctrines are supported by the uniform testimony of the fathers. The belief of past facts must depend on the evidence of human testimony, or the testimony of historians.
2. Open attestation profession.
Thou for the testimony of truth hast borne
3. Witness evidence proof of some fact.
Shake off the dust under your feet, for a testimony against them. Mark 6 .
4. In Scripture, the two tables of the law.
Thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee. Exodus 25
5. The book of the law.
He brought forth the king's son--and gave him the testimony. 2 Kings 11 .
6. The gospel, which testifies of Christ and declares the will of God. 1 Corinthians 2 . 2 Timothy 1
7. The ark. Exodus 16
8. The word of God the Scriptures.
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple Psalms 19
9. The laws or precepts of God. "I love thy testimonies." "I have kept thy testimonies."
10. That which is equivalent to a declaration manifestation.
Sacrifices were appointed by God for a testimony of his hatred of sin.
11. Evidence suggested to the mind as the testimony of conscience. 2 Corinthians 1
12. Attestation confirmation.
TEST'IMONY, To witness. Not in use.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Testimony'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/t/testimony.html.