Click to donate today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. A leader of the choir in David's time, and once called a 'seer.' 2 Chronicles 29:30 . He was descended from Gershom the Levite. 1 Chronicles 6:39; 1 Chronicles 15:17,19; 1 Chronicles 16:5,7,37 , etc. Twelve psalms are attributed to him, namely, 50,73 to 83. His office seems to have been hereditary. Ezra 2:41; Ezra 3:10; Nehemiah 7:44 , etc.
2. Father of Joah recorder to Hezekiah. 2 Kings 18:18,37; Isaiah 36:3,22 .
3. A Levite, whose descendants dwelt in Jerusalem after the exile. 1 Chronicles 9:15 .
4. A Korhite, whose posterity were porters in the tabernacle in the time of David. 1 Chronicles 26:1 .
5. An officer, probably a Jew, controller of the forests of king Artaxerxes in Judaea. Nehemiah 2:8 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Asaph'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/a/asaph.html. 1897.