Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Thirdson of Aaron and Elisheba (a descendant of Judah through Pharez). He succeeded as chief of the Levites on the death of Nadab and Abihu, and on the death of his father became high priest. He took part with Moses in numbering the people and with Joshua in the allotment of the land. The priesthood continued in his house until it passed to Eli who was of the family of Ithamar; Solomon restored it again to the family of Eleazar in the person of Zadok. Exodus 6:23,25; Leviticus 10:6-16; Numbers 3:2,4,32; Numbers 20:25-28; Numbers 26:1,3,60,63; Numbers 27:19-22; Numbers 31:6-54; Deuteronomy 10:6; Joshua 14:1; 1 Chronicles 6:3,4,50 .
2. Son of Abinadab, set apart to keep the ark at Kirjath-jearim. 1 Samuel 7:1 .
3. Son of Dodo, the Ahohite, and one of David's three mighty men. 2 Samuel 23:9; 1 Chronicles 11:12 .
4. Son of Mahli,a Merarite. He had only daughters who married their cousins. 1 Chronicles 23:21,22; 1 Chronicles 24:28 .
5. Son of Phinehas, a Levite. Ezra 8:33 .
6. One who had married a strange wife. Ezra 10:25 .
7. A priest who assisted at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. Nehemiah 12:42 .
8. Son of Eliud, in the genealogy of the Lord Jesus. Matthew 1:15 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Eleazar'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/e/eleazar.html. 1897.