Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Ahikam: he was made governor over those left in the land, with a Chaldean guard, by Nebuchadnezzar. He was joined by Jeremiah, and apparently ruled well; but he was treacherously murdered by Ishmael of Judah, who, according to Josephus (Ant. 10:9,3), was a member of the royal family. Gedaliah was duly warned, but had too good an opinion of the man. 2 Kings 25:22-25; Jeremiah 39:14; Jeremiah 40:5-16; Jeremiah 41:1-18; Jeremiah 43:6 .
2. Levite, son of Jeduthun. 1 Chronicles 25:3,9 .
3. Priest who had married a strange wife. Ezra 10:18 .
4. Grandfather of Zephaniah the prophet. Zephaniah 1:1 .
5. Son of Pashur and one of the princes who caused Jeremiah to be cast into a dungeon. Jeremiah 38:1 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Gedaliah'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/g/gedaliah.html. 1897.