Click to donate today!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Boaz, and Ruth, the Moabitess, and father of Jesse. Ruth 4:17. (B.C. 1360). The circumstances of his birth, which make up all that we know about him, are given with much beauty in the book of Ruth. The name of Obed occurs only in Ruth 4:17, and in the four genealogies, Ruth 4:21-22; 1 Chronicles 2:12; Matthew 1:5; Luke 3:32.
2. A descendant of Jarha, the Egyptian slave of Sheshan, in the line of Jerahmeel. 1 Chronicles 2:37-38. (B.C. after 1014).
3. One of David's mighty men. 1 Chronicles 11:47. (B.C. 1046).
4. One of the gate-keepers of the Temple, son of Shemaiah, the first-born of Obed-edom. 1 Chronicles 26:7. (B.C. 1017).
5. Father of Azariah, one of the captains of hundreds, who joined with Jehoiada, in the revolution, by which Athaliah fell. 2 Chronicles 23:1. (B.C. before 876).
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Obed'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/o/obed.html. 1901.