Click to donate today!
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
A city of Benjamin, among the group of towns lying along the northern boundary (Joshua 18:24). Geba and its suburbs were allotted to the priests (ib. 21:17; 1 Chronicles 6, 60). It is mentioned in 2 Kings 23:8 as the northern landmark of the kingdom of Judah, in opposition to Beer-sheba, the southern; it is spoken of in 2 Samuel 5:25 as the eastern limit, in opposition to Gazer, the western. In the parallel passage, 1 Chronicles 14:16, the name is changed to "Gibeon" "Geba" is sometimes used where "Gibeah" is meant, and vice versa, as in 1 Samuel 14:2,16. See GIBEAH. In the time of Saul, Geba was occupied by the Philistines (ib. 13:3). The latter, ejected by Jonathan, made a furious onslaught, the armies being arrayed on opposite sides of the ravine which was between Geba on the south and Michmash on the north (ib. 14:4,5). This description of the topography of Geba tallies with that given in Isaiah 10:28,29. Geba is identified with a village called "Jeba'," situated on a hill, opposite which there is a village called "Mukhmas," the Biblical "Michmash" (see Robinson, "Researches," 2:113 et seq.; Buhl, "Geographie des Alten PalÃ¤stinas," pp. 172-176).
These files are public domain.
Singer, Isidore, Ph.D, Projector and Managing Editor. Entry for 'Geba'. 1901 The Jewish Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tje/g/geba.html. 1901.