Click here to get started today!
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
Chief town of the county of the same name, possessing one of the oldest Jewish communities in Hungary. As early as 1490 a Jew named Simon, living in Raab, brought a suit against the municipality. In the sixteenth century the number of Jews in the place had largely increased, as is evidenced by the fact that the official records mention a "Jew street, facing the mountain." In the second half of the seventeenth century General Montecuccoli expelled the Jews from the town, admitting them to the fairs only. According to a census taken in the middle of the eighteenth century, about forty Jews were then residing in Raab.
The synagogue built in 1798 is still used. The corner-stone of the new synagogue was laid Oct. 15, 1869, and the building was opened Sept. 15, 1870. Among the institutions supported by the Jewish community are a grammar-school for both boys and girls, a Talmud Torah, a ḥebra ḳaddisha, a women's charitable society, and a society for the aid of the sick.
The list of rabbis who have officiated since 1803 is as follows: Abraham Schick, Eleazar Strasser, J. Salomon Freyer, Salomon Rauschburg, Gyula Fischer, and Moritz Schwarz, the present incumbent.
These files are public domain.
Singer, Isidore, Ph.D, Projector and Managing Editor. Entry for 'Raab'. 1901 The Jewish Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tje/r/raab.html. 1901.