free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2052 - ἐριθεία
- electioneering or intriguing for office
- apparently, in the NT a courting distinction, a desire to put one's self forward, a partisan and fractious spirit which does not disdain low arts
- partisanship, fractiousness
I labour for wages, Hsch. (pl.), Suid.
1. canvassing for public office, intriguing, Arist. Pol. 1302b4, 1303a14 (pl.).
2. selfish or factious ambition, ζῆλος καὶ ἐ. Ephesians 3:14; οἱ ἐξ -είας Philippians 1:17; pl., intrigues, party squabbles, Galatians 5:20.
** ἐριθία ,
(T, cl., -εία ), -ας , ἡ ,
[in Sm.: Ezekiel 23:11*;]
(on the origin and history of the word, v. Hort, Ja., 81 fly.; Ellic. on Galatians 5:20; Cremer, 262),
ambition, self-seeking, rivalry: James 3:14; James 3:16; κατ᾿ ἐριθίαν , Philippians 2:3; οἱ ἐξ ἐ ., Romans 2:8, Philippians 1:17; pl. (Bl., § 32, 6; WM, 220; Swete, Mk., 153), 2 Corinthians 12:20, Galatians 5:20.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For the spelling see WH Notes.2, p. 160. The original meaning of the verb ἐριθεύομαι, ";work for hire,"; as in LXX Tobit 2:11, may be illustrated from ἔριθος in P Hib I. 121.34 (B.C. 251–0) ἐρίθοις ἐρίω ̣ν, ";wool-weavers,"; and from the compound συνέριθος, ";fellow-worker,"; in a Magdola papyrus of B.C. 216 re-edited by Reinach in Mél. Nicole, p. 451 ff.—.3 τῆι συνερίθωι μου προσνοήσας, ";s’étant concerté avec ma compagne d’atelier,"; while the derived sense of intriguing for office appears in ἀνερίθευτος, ";unmoved by party spirit,"; in Syll 117.45 (B.C. 303) if the restoration is correct—(ἀ)[ποδεῖξαι δὲ ἑκατέρους ] νομογράφους τρεῖς μὴ νεωτέρους ἐτῶν τεσσεράκοντα [ὄντας ἀνεριθεύτ ]ους. The meaning of ";selfish"; rather than ";factious"; ambition perhaps suits best all the NT occurrences of ἐριθεία : cf. Kennedy’s note ad Philippians 1:16 in EGT.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29