Click here to get started today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2227 - ζωοποιέω
- to produce alive, begat or bear living young
- to cause to live, make alive, give life
- by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate
- to restore to life
- to give increase of life: thus of physical life
- of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life
- metaph., of seeds quickened into life, i.e. germinating, springing up, growing
I = ζωογονέω 1, Arist. HA 555b9;= ζωογονέω 11.2, Id. GA 730a2, Thphr. CP 3.22.4: metaph., D.S. 2.52.
1. make alive, θανατῶς α καὶ ζ. LXX 2 Kings 5:7, cf. John 5:21; bring to life, νεκρά Luc. VH 1.22, cf. Sch. E. Alc. 122; endow with life, ἑαυτό Dam. Pr. 78, al., cf. Procl. Inst. 25: — Pass., ib. 209.
2. preserve alive, LXX Judges 21:14.
ζωο -ποιέω , ῶ ,
[in LXX for H2421 pi., hi., Judges 21:14, 2 Kings 5:7, Nehemiah 9:6, Job 36:6, Ps 70:20, Ecclesiastes 7:12*;]
1. in cl. (= ζωογονέω ), to produce alive.
2. In LXX and NT, to make alive, cause to live, quicken (DCG, ii, 606a; Cremer, 275): John 5:21; John 6:53, Romans 4:17; Romans 8:11, 1 Corinthians 15:45, 2 Corinthians 3:6, Galatians 3:21. Pass., 1 Corinthians 15:22; 1 Corinthians 15:36, 1 Peter 3:18.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
The adj. ζωοποιός is a frequent attribute of the Trinity in late papyri, e.g. P Flor I. 38.1 (vi/A.D.) ἐν ὀνόματι ] τῆς ἁγίας καὶ ζωοποιοῦ καὶ ὁμοουσίου [τριάδος πατ ]ρὸς καὶ υἱ [ο ]ῦ καὶ ἁγίου πνεύματος. For the verb see Aristeas 16 δι᾽ ὃν (sc. θεὸν) ζῳοποιοῦντα τὰ πάντα καὶ γίνεται.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 7 / Ordinary 12