the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #2643 - καταλλαγή
- of the business of money changers, exchanging equivalent values
- adjustment of a difference, reconciliation, restoration to favour
- in the NT of the restoration of the favour of God to sinners that repent and put their trust in the expiatory death of Christ
1. exchange, esp. of money, Arist. Oec. 1346b24, PHib. 1.100.4 (iii B. C.).
2. money-changer's profit, agio, D. 50.30, Diph. 66.14, Euphro 3.4.
3. freight, merchandise, metaph., [ ἀραὶ ] βαρεῖαι κ. A. Th. 767 (lyr.).
4. change, difference, Phld. Mus. p.74 K.
1. change from enmity to friendship, reconciliation, καταλλαγὰς ποιεῖσθαι πρός τινας D. 1.4; κ. πολέμου Ar. Av. 1588.
2. reconciliation of sinners with God, 2 Corinthians 5:18; κόσμου Romans 11:15.
καταλλαγή, καταλλαγῆς, ἡ (καταλλάσσω, which see);
1. exchange; of the business of money-changers, exchanging equivalent values ((Aristotle, others)). Hence,
2. adjustment of a difference, reconciliation, restoration to favor, (from Aeschylus on); in the N. T., of the restoration of the favor of God to sinners that repent and put their trust in the expiatory death of Christ: 2 Corinthians 5:18f; with the genitive of the one received into favor, τοῦ κόσμου (opposed to ἀποβολή), Romans 11:15; καταλλαγήν ἐλάβομεν, we received the blessing of the recovered favor of God, Romans 5:11; with the genitive of him whose favor is recovered, 2 Macc. 5:20. (Cf. Trench, § lxxvii.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
κατ -αλλαγή , -ῆς , ἡ ,
(< καταλλάσσω ),
[in LXX: Isaiah 9:5(4), 2 Maccabees 5:20*;]
2. reconciliation: Romans 5:11; κ . κόσμου , Romans 11:15; διακονία τῆς κ ., 2 Corinthians 5:18; λόγος τῆς κ ., 2 Corinthians 5:19.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
καταλλαγή seerns to be found in the same sense as ἐπαλλαγή, ";exchange,"; in P Hib I. 100.4 (an account— B.C. 267) εἰς ] τοῦτο κομίζει [πα ]ρὰ τῶν τὰ ἀωίλια ε ̄, [κ ]αὶ παρὰ τὴν καταλ [λα ]γὴν γ ̄ : see the editor’s note.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.