Click here to get started today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2843 - κοινωνικός
- social, sociable, ready and apt to form and maintain communion and fellowship
- inclined to make others sharers in one's possessions, inclined to impart, free in giving, liberal
κοινων-ικός, ή, όν,
1. held in common, τὰ κ. property held by corporations, D. 14.16, cf. BCH 50.16 (Delph., iv B.C., prob.); κ. ἐλαιών BGU 1037.14 (i A.D.), cf. PGiss. 30.7 (ii A.D.). relating to partnerships, [ δίκαι ] Arist. Ath. 52.2. κοινωνικά, τά, tax on corporations, PTeb. 5.59 (ii B.C.), 100.10 (ii B.C.).
2. social, ἰσότης κοινωνική [ἡ δικαιοσύνη ] Pl. Def. 411e; κ. ἀρετή Arist. Pol. 1283a38; [ φιλίαι ] Id. EN 1161b14.
3. sociable, κ. καὶ φιλικὴ διάθεσις Plb. 2.44.1, cf. Plu. 2.43d; φύσει ἐσμὲν κ. Epicur. Fr. 525, cf. Arr. Epict. 3.13.5: Sup., τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἡ φύσις κατεσκεύασε -ώτατον Ph. Fr. 71 H.; τὸ -κόν sociability, J. BJ 2.8.3. of certain signs of the zodiac, Cat.Cod.Astr. 1.166.
4. giving a share of, τῶν ὄντων Luc. Tim. 56: abs., κ. ὁ Ἑρμῆς ready to share luck with others, prov. in Arist. Rh. 1401a20; liberal, 1 Timothy 6:18, Ptol. Tetr. 69; opp. φθονερός, Gal. 4.817.
5. c. dat., in communion with, τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ Just. Nov. 8 Jusj.
II Act., receptive, sharing in, φωτός Str. 17.1.36.
1. Adv. - κῶς, χρῆσθαι τοῖς εὐτυχήμασι to suffer others to partake in one's good fortune, Plb. 18.48.7; κ. βιῶναι D.S. 5.9; ζῆν κ. καὶ φιλικῶς Plu. 2.1108c, etc.
2. Medic., by sympathy, κ. σπᾶσθαι prob. in Aët. 3.140.
*κοινωνικός , -ή , -όν
2. ready to communicate or impart (R, mg., ready to sympathize, v. Field, Notes, 213 f.): 1 Timothy 6:18.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
κοινωνικός is used in the more primary sense of ";common"; in BGU IV. 1037.14 (A.D. 47) ἴσοδος καὶ ἔξοδος τοῦ κοινωνικοῦ ἐλαι [ῶνος, the vineyard being ";common"; to two properties : cf. also P Giss I. 30.7, .12, .14 (A.D. 140–161). For evidence in support of the derived meaning ";willing to communicate"; (RV) rather than ";ready to sympathise"; (RV marg.) in 1 Timothy 6:18, see Field Notes, p. 213 f.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25