the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #59 - ἀγοράζω
- to be in the market place, to attend it
- to do business there, buy or sell
- of idle people: to haunt the market place, lounge there
ἀγοράζω [ᾰγ], fut. άσω Ar. Lys. 633, ἀγορῶ LXX Nehemiah 10:31 : aor. ἠγόρασα X. HG 7.2.18, D. 21.149, etc.: pf. ἠγόρακα Arist. Oec. 1352b7, Plb. 6.17.4: — Med., aor. ἠγορασάμην D. 50.55: pf. ἠγόρασμαι (v. infr.): — Pass., aor. ἠγοράσθην Id. 59.46: pf. ἠγόρασμαι Isa 8.23, Men. 828: — frequent the ἀγορά, αἱ γυναῖκες ἀ. καὶ καπηλεύουσι Hdt. 2.35, 4.164, cf. Arist. Ph. 196a5, Com.Adesp. 710;
1. occupy the market-place, Th. 6.51.
2. buy in the market, πωλεῖν ἀ. Ar. Ach. 625; ἐπιτήδεια ἀ. X. An. 1.5.10; generally, buy, Ar. Pl. 984, etc.; farm taxes or state-contracts, ὠνὴν ἀ. PRLaws 41.22, al.; τὸν Σαίτην ἀγοράσας ib. 60.23: — Med., buy for oneself, X. An. 1.3.14: — Pass., διάτινος ἀ. D. 50.25: pf. Pass. in med. sense, ἀντὶ τοῦ ἠγοράσθαι αὐτοῖς τὸν οἶνον Id. 35.19.
3. haunt the ἀγορά, Corinn. 34, Pi. Fr. 103; οὐδ' ἀγοράσει γ' ἀγένειος οὐδεὶς ἐν ἀγορᾷ nor shall any boy lounge in the ἀγορά, Ar. Eq. 1373. [ -ᾱζω (i. e. -ᾴζω) in sense 1, Hdn.Gr. 2.14.]
ἀγοράζω; (imperfect ἠγόραζον; future ἀγοράσω); 1 aorist ἠγόρασα; passive, perfect participle ἠγορασμένος; 1 aorist ἠγοράσθην; (ἀγορά);
1. to frequent the marketplace.
2. to buy (properly, in the marketplace) (Aristophanes, Xenophon, others); used
a. literally: absolutely, Matthew 21:12; Mark 11:15; Luke 19:45 (not G T Tr WH); τί, Matthew 13:44, 46; Matthew 14:15 and parallel passage, John 4:8; John 6:5; with παρά and the genitive of the person from whom, Revelation 3:18 (the Sept., Polybius); ἐκ and the genitive of price, Matthew 27:7; simple genitive of price, Mark 6:37.
b. figuratively: Christ is said to have purchased his disciples i. e. made them, as it were, his private property, 1 Corinthians 6:20 (this is commonly understood of God; but cf. John 17:9, 10); 1 Corinthians 7:23 (with the genitive of price added; see τιμή, 1); 2 Peter 2:1. He is also said to have bought them for God ἐν τῷ αἵματι αὐτοῦ, by shedding his blood, Revelation 5:9; they, too, are spoken of as purchased ἀπό τῆς γῆς, Revelation 14:3, and ἀπό τῶν ἀνθρώπων, Revelation 14:4, so that they are withdrawn from the earth (and its miseries) and from (wicked) men. But ἀγοράζω does not mean redeem (ἐξαγοράζω) — as is commonly said. (Compare: ἐξαγοράζω.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
1. to frequent the ἀγορά (Hdt., al.).
2. to buy in the market, purchase (Xen., al.; LXX; in Papyri very common in deeds of sale, v. M, VGT, s.v.): absol., Matthew 21:12 Mark 11:15; c. acc rei, Matthew 13:44; Matthew 13:46, al.; seq. παρά , c. gen. pers., Revelation 3:18 (LXX, Polyb.); ἐκ , Matthew 27:7; c. gen. pret., Mark 6:37, al.; metaph., 1 Corinthians 6:20, 1 Corinthians 7:23, 2 Peter 2:1, Revelation 5:9 Revelation 14:3-4.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
The verb (MGr = ";buy";) is common in deeds of sale, e.g. P Lond 882.24 (B.C. 101) ( = III. p. 14) ἣν ἠγόρασεν παρὰ Θ., ib. 1208.10 (B.C. 97) ( = III. p. 19). It is used of the purchase of slaves in OGIS 338.23 (the will of Attalus III.—B.C. 133) : cf. 1 Corinthians 6:20; 1 Corinthians 7:23 τιμῆς ἠγοράσθητε (Deissmann LAE, p. 328). So P Oxy VIII. 1149.5 ff. (ii/A.D.) ἀ [γο ]ράσαι παρὰ Τασαρ [α ]πίωνος ὃν ἔχει δοῦλον Σαραπίωνα, ";to buy from Tasarapion her slave Sarapion,"; al. Both the verb and the corresponding substantive are found in P Oxy II. 298.11, .48, a long letter by a tax-collector of i/A.D., στατῆρας πορφύ [ρ ]ας ἀγόρασον. . . ἐὰν εὕρῃς ἀγ [ο ]ραστὴν τοῦ μέρ [ους ] τῆς οἰκίας. For ἀγοραστός, see also P Petr II. 20ii. 5, .8 (B.C. 252) τοῦ ἀγοραστοῦ = ";(wheat) for sale,"; and P Tebt I. 30.11 (A.D. 123) ( = Selections, p. 78) ἀγοραστὴν παρὰ Θενπετεσούχο ̣υ. . . οἰκίαν, ";the house as purchased from Thenpetesuchus,"; al. Ἀγοράζειν παρά is illustrated above (P Lond 1208.10, P Oxy 1149.5, etc.) : for ἀ. ἀπό cf. P Flor II. 175.11 (A.D. 255) δήλοι (for δήλου) ἀπὸ τίνος τέκτονος ἠγοράσθη. For the gen. of price cf. P Par 59.6 ( = Witkowski Epp.2, p. 75—B.C. 60) τούτων (sc. 1 talent 140 drachmae) ἠγώρακα σίτου ἀρ (τάβας) `b (δραχμῶν) `cl κτλ.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.