the First Week of Advent
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #03091 - יְהוֹשׁוּעַ
Joshua or Jehoshua = “Jehovah is salvation”
1) son of Nun of the tribe of Ephraim and successor to Moses as the leader of the children of Israel; led the conquest of Canaan
2) a resident of Beth-shemesh on whose land the Ark of the Covenant came to a stop after the Philistines returned it
3) son of Jehozadak and high priest after the restoration
4) governor of Jerusalem under king Josiah who gave his name to a gate of the city of Jerusalem
proper name, masculine (& location, see
9 below) (׳י is salvation, or ׳י is opulence, compare אֱלִישָׁע, אֱלִישׁוּעַ, אֲבִישׁוּעַ & Nes SK 1892,573f.; in any case it came to be associated with ישׁע, compare Matthew 1:21; on יֵשׁוּעַ see especially Frä VOJ iv. 1890,332f. Müll SK 1892,177f. who cite analogue for change of וֹ to later ֵ֯, & Nes l.c.) —
1 Moses' successor, son of Nun, (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς) יְהוֺשׁוּעַ Deuteronomy 3:21; Judges 2:7; = יְהוֺשֻׁעַ Exodus 17:9,10,13,14; Exodus 24:13; Exodus 32:17; Exodus 33:11; Numbers 11:28; Numbers 13:16; Numbers 14:6,30,38; Numbers 26:65; Numbers 27:18,22; Numbers 32:12,28; Numbers 34:17; Deuteronomy 1:38; Deuteronomy 3:28; Deuteronomy 31:3,7,14 (twice in verse); Deuteronomy 31:23; Deuteronomy 34:9; Joshua 1:1 167t. Joshua; Judges 1:1; Judges 2:6,7,8,21,23; 1 Kings 16:34; 1 Chronicles 7:27; = יֵשׁוּעַ Nehemiah 8:17 (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς); according to P, name changed by Moses from הוֺשֵׁעַ q. v. Numbers 13:8,16 (ᵐ5 Αὑση) Deuteronomy 32:44 (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς).
2יְהוֺשֻׁעַ a Bethshemite 1 Samuel 6:14,18 (ᵐ5 'Wshe, A Ἰησοῦς, ᵐ5 L Ἰωσηε).
3 high priest after the restoration, son of Jehozadak יְהוֺשֻׁעַ (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς) Haggai 1:1,12,14; Haggai 2:2,4; Zechariah 3:1,3,6,8,9; Zechariah 6:11; = יְשׁוּעַ (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς) Ezra 2:2; Ezra 3:2,8; Ezra 4:3; Ezra 5:2; Ezra 10:18; Nehemiah 7:7; Nehemiah 12:1,7,10,26.
4יְהוֺשֻׁעַ governor of Jerusalem under Josiah 2 Kings 23:8 (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς, ᵐ5 L Ἰωσηε).
5יֵשׁוּעַ (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς). head of one of the classes of priests 1 Chronicles 24:11, possibly also Ezra 2:36 = Nehemiah 7:39.
6יֵשׁוּעַ (ᵐ5 Ἰησοῦς etc.), a Levitical family-name of frequent occurrence:
a. Ezra 2:40; Ezra 3:9 = Nehemiah 7:43; Nehemiah 8:7; Nehemiah 9:4,5; Nehemiah 10:10; Nehemiah 12:8.
b. 2 Chronicles 31:15; Ezra 8:33; Nehemiah 12:24.
7יֵשׁוּעַ (ᵐ5 id.), father of a builder at the wall Nehemiah 3:19, perhaps =
8 a Judaite family-name (ᵐ5 id.), Ezra 2:6 = Nehemiah 7:11 (compare Sm Listen 12).
9. proper name, of a location in south of Judah Nehemiah 11:26 בְּיֵשׁוּעַ (ᵐ5 ἐν Ἰησού, ᵐ5 L ἐν Σουα).
יְהוֺשֻׁעַ, יֵשׁוּעַ proper name.
יְהוֹשׁוּעַ & יְהוֹשֻׁעַ m. (“whose help [salvation] is Jehovah;” comp. אֱלִישׁוּעַ, the German Gotthilf), Joshua [Jehoshua], pr.n. borne by
(1) the son of Nun, the minister and armour-bearer [?] of Moses, afterwards his successor, and the leader of the Israelites, Exodus 17:9, 24:13 elsewhere called also הוֹשֵׁעַ Numbers 13:16 (see also יֵשׁוּעַ).
(2) a high priest cotemporary with Zerubbabel, Zechariah 3:1; Haggai 1:1, 12 Haggai 1:12 see יֵשׁוּעַ
(3) 1 Samuel 6:14, 18 1 Samuel 6:18.
(4) 2 Kings 23:8. LXX. Ιησοῦς. Vulg. Josua.