Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #03130 - יוֹסֵף
Joseph = “Jehovah has added”
1) the eldest son of Jacob by Rachel
2) father of Igal, who represented the tribe of Issachar among the spies
3) a son of Asaph
4) a man who took a foreign wife in the time of Ezra
5) a priest of the family of Shebaniah in the time of Nehemiah
יוֹסֵף m. Joseph, pr.n.
(1) of the youngest son of Jacob, with the exception of Benjamin; who was sold by his brethren into Egypt, and afterwards rose to the highest henours. See Gen. chap. -3750.- Genesis 30:23, 24 Genesis 30:24, allusion is made to a double etymology, as though it were
(a) = יאֹסֵף he takes away, and
(b) fut. Hiph. apoc. from יָסַף he shall add, which latter is confirmed by the Chaldaic form יְהוֹסֵף Psalms 81:6. The two sons of Joseph, Ephraim and Manasseh, having been adopted by their grandfather, and becoming the ancestors of two of the tribes of Israel, the name יוֹסֵף and בֵּית יוֹסֵף is used
(a) of these two tribes, Joshua 17:17, 18:5 Judges 1:23, 35 Judges 1:35 also the same בְּנֵת יוֹסֵף Joshua 14:4.
(b) poet. of the Ephraimite kingdom, i.q. אֶפְרַיִם No. 2. Psal. 78:67 -Eze. 37:1619 ; Zechariah 10:6.
(c) of the whole nation of Israel [?] Psalms 80:2, 81:6 Amos 5:6, 15 6:6.
(2) of several other men
(a) 1 Chronicles 25:2, 1 Chronicles 25:9.
(b) Nehemiah 12:14.
(c) Ezra 10:42.
the Week of Proper 25 / Ordinary 30