Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #06822 - צָפָה
1) to look out or about, spy, keep watch, observe, watch
1a) (Qal) to keep watch, spy
1b) (Piel) to watch, watch closely
V) epy (תספה TsPH) - I. Watch: II. Overlay:[Unknown connection to root] KJV (83): (vf: Paal, Pual, Piel) watch, watchman, behold, look, espy, overlay, cover, garnish - Strongs: H6822 (צָפָה), H6823 (צָפָה)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) to shine, to be bright (Arabic صفى); Hence Piel No. 1.
(2) to look out, to view (prop. to enlighten with the eyes, comp. שָׁזַף, unless the primary idea be rather sought for in inclining, bending forward, in order to view; comp. הִשְׁקִיף. With this accord σκέπω, σκόπος, σκοπέω; and even in Lat. transp. specio, specto, specula, etc). Isaiah 21:5 see צָפִית. Used of a tower which has a wide view, Song of Solomon 7:5. Part. צוֹפֶה a watchman set on a tower, 1 Samuel 14:16; 2 Samuel 13:34, 18:24. Metaph. used of prophets, who, like watchmen, declare future events as being divinely revealed to them by visions, Jeremiah 6:17 Eze. 3:17 comp. Habakkuk 2:1 [Piel]. Hence
(a) to look out for. Hosea 9:8, צוֹפֶה אֶפְרַיִם “Ephraim looks out for (aid).”
(b) to observe accurately; followed by an acc., Proverbs 15:3, 31:27 followed by בְּ Psalms 66:7 followed by בֵּין (to see and judge between), Genesis 31:49.
(c) to lie in wait; followed by לְ Psalms 37:32.
(d) to select (auferfehen), i.q. רָאָה. Job 15:22, צָפוּ הוּא אֱלֵי חֶרֶב “selected (or destined) for the sword” (צָפוּ for צָפוּי).
(1) to overlay with gold or silver (pr. to make splendid; see Kal No. 1); followed by two acc., Exodus 25:24; 1 Kings 6:20, seqq.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 2, 1 Samuel 4:13 part. מְצַפֶּה a watchman, Isaiah 21:6 metaph. a prophet, Micah 7:4. Followed by אֶל of the thing which any one watches for and expects (as aid), Lamentations 4:17 בְּ Micah 7:7. Absol. Psalms 5:4, אֲצַפֶּה “I expect,” sc. divine aid, I look to God.
Pual, pass. of Piel No. 1, to be overlaid, Exodus 26:32; Proverbs 26:23.
Derivatives, צִפּוּי, צִפִּיָּה, צָפִית, מִצְפֶּה; and pr.n. צְפָת, צְפָתָה, צְפוֹ, צְפִי, צִפְיוֹן, מִצְפָּח.
צָפָה f. (from the root צוּף) a swimming, Ezekiel 32:6.
the Week of Proper 6 / Ordinary 11