the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1239 - בָּקַר
1) to seek, enquire, consider
1a1) to seek, look for
1a2) to consider, reflect
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Pi`el Perfect 1 singular suffix וּבִקַּרְתִּים consecutive Ezekiel 34:11; Imperfect יְבַקֵּר Leviticus 13:36; Leviticus 27:33, אֲבַקֵּר Ezekiel 34:12; Infinitive construct לְבַקֵּר 2 Kings 16:15 2t.; — seek, look for, followed by לְ Leviticus 13:36; seek (to distinguish) followed by בֵּיןטֿוֺב לָרַע v. Leviticus 27:33; seek (in order to care for) followed by accusative צאֹן Ezekiel 34:11 ("" דרשׁ) Ezekiel 34:12, figurative of ׳י seeking his people; contemplate, followed by בְּ Psalm 27:4 ("" חָזָה בְּ); consider, reflect, absolute Proverbs 20:25 אַחַר נְדָרִים i.e. whether the vows were wise, or should be kept (compare Str on the passage & references); compare perhaps 2 Kings 16:15 consider (what shall be done with the old altar); look at Klo, (so לְבַקֵּר 1 Kings 3:21 for 2nd בַּבֹּקֶר), AV RV to inquire by, ᵑ6 for praying; perhaps denoting some religious service to be performed by king himself, compare especially RS Semitic i. 467.
בָּקַר not used in Kal prop. i.q. Arab. بقَرَ to cleave, to open, kindred to the root בָּכַר. The notion of cleaving and opening in this root is applied
(1) to ploughing (compare חָרַשׁ, פָּתַח, גְּדוּד); whence בָּקָר armentum, as if aramentum, oxen.
(2) to the breaking forth and arising of light; see בָּקַע Kal and Niphal No. 3.
(3) to the sense of asking, inquiring (Syr. ܒܰܩܰܪ to inquire, to investigate, ܒܩܳܪܐܳ and ܒܘܽܩܪܳܐܳ inquiry, searching out), also that of to look at, to inspect. So in
(1) to inspect diligently, to look at anything; followed by לְ Leviticus 13:36, בֵּין־לְ (compare בֵּין No. 1), Leviticus 27:33. Followed by בְּ to look at with pleasure (compare בְּ No. 4, a), Psalms 27:4.
(2) to look after, to take care of, with an acc. Ezekiel 34:11, 12 Ezekiel 34:12.
(3) to look at, contemplate with the mind, to consider, to think on, 2 Kings 16:15; Proverbs 20:25.
(4) to animadvert on any one, to punish him; compare בִּקֹּרֶת.
All the derivatives follow immediately.