Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3289 - יָעַץ
1) to advise, consult, give counsel, counsel, purpose, devise, plan
1a1) to advise, counsel, give counsel, consult
1a2) counsellor (participle)
1b) (Niphal) to consult together, exchange counsel, deliberate, counsel together
1c) (Hithpael) to conspire
Nm) yo (אהתס AhTs) - Wood: A tree or the wood from the tree. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (333): tree, wood, timber, stick, gallows, staff, stock, branch, helve, plank, stalk - Strongs: H636 (אָע), H6086 (עֵץ)
Nf1) eyo (אהתסה AhTsH) - I. Tree: II. Counsel:As the firm support of the community. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (90): tree, counsel, purpose, advice - Strongs: H5843 (עֵטָה), H6097 (עֵצָה), H6098 (עֵצָה)
V) yoi (יאהתס YAhTs) - Counsel: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (83): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Participle) counsel, counselor, consult, give, purpose, advice, determine, devise - Strongs: H3272 (יְעַט), H3289 (יָעַץ)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
יָעַץ fut. יִיעַץ, for imp. there is twice עֻצוּ (from the root עוּץ) [perhaps primarily to command. See Thes. as to this, and also as to the cognate roots], Judges 19:30; Isaiah 8:10.
(1) to give counsel, 2 Samuel 17:11, 15 2 Samuel 17:15 more fully יָעַץ עֵצָה 16:23 17:7. Followed by dat. of pers., Job 26:3, by a suff., Exodus 18:19; 1 Kings 1:12, 12:8, 13 1 Kings 12:13. Part. יוֹעֵץ subst. a counsellor, adviser, Proverbs 11:14, 24:6 especially the counsellor, or minister of a king, 1 Chronicles 27:32, 33 1 Chronicles 27:33; Ezra 7:28, 8:25, (compare 7:24, 25 Ezra 7:25). Plural יוֹעֲצִים. chiefs, leaders, of a land and state, Job 3:14, 12:17 Isaiah 1:26.
(2) to take counsel, to decree, followed by a gerund. Psalms 62:5, מִשֵּׂאתוֹ יָעֲצוּ לְהַדִּיחַ “they have decreed to cast (him) down from his height;” followed by עַל against any one, Isaiah 7:5, 19:17 23:8 followed by אֶל Jeremiah 49:20. יָעַץ זִמּוֹת to devise evil councils, Isaiah 32:7.
(3) to consult for any one, i.e. to provide for. With suff. Psalms 16:7, 32:8, אִיעֲצָה עָלֶיךָ עֵינִי, pregn. for אִיעָֽצְךָ וְאָשִׂימָה עָלֶיךָ עֵינִי “I will care for thee, and will set my eye upon thee,” i.e. I will favour thee. יוֹעֵץ one who consults, i.e. cares for, protects, Isaiah 9:5. [The part. in all its other occurrences means a giver of counsel; why should it not be the same here? So Thes.]
(4) i.q. Arab. وعظ to predict, to declare future things, Numbers 24:14; Isaiah 41:28.
(1) reflect. to let oneself be counselled, to receive advice, Proverbs 13:10.
(2) recipr. to consult one another, i.e. to hold a consultation, to deliberate, Psalms 71:10, 83:6 followed by עִם 1 Chronicles 13:1 or אֶת Isaiah 40:14; 1 Kings 12:6, 1 Kings 12:8, to deliberate with any one.
(3) to consider with oneself; also to decree, command, or advise, as the result of deliberation. Followed by אֶל 2 Kings 6:8, וַיִּוָּעֵץ אֶל עֲבָדָיו לֵאמֹר “and he commanded his servants, saying.” 2 Chronicles 20:21; 1 Kings 12:6, 1 Kings 12:9, מָה אַתֶּם נוֹעַצְתֶּם “what do ye advise?”
Hithpael, i.q. Niphal No. 2, Psalms 83:4.
Derivatives, עֵצָה, מוֹעֵצָה.
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17