Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #6743 - צָלֵחַ
1) (Qal) to rush
2) to advance, prosper, make progress, succeed, be profitable
2a) (Qal) to prosper
2b1) to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper
2b2) to show or experience prosperity, prosper
V) hly (תסלהה TsLHh) - Advance: To move forward in distance, position or in prosperity. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (69): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) prosper, come, effect, good, meet, break, went, promote - Strongs: H6743 (צָלֵחַ), H6744 (צְלַח)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
צָלֵחַ fut. יִצְלַח
(1) to go over or through (as a river), followed by an acc. 2 Samuel 19:18. (Compare צֵלָחָה.)
(2) to attack, to fall upon, used of the Spirit of Jehovah falling upon a man; followed by עַל Judges 14:19, 15:14 1 Samuel 10:10, 11:6 followed by אֶל 1 Samuel 16:13, 18:10 used of God himself breaking forth upon men, poet. followed by an acc. Amos 5:6. (Compare בּוֹא No. 2, d.)
(3) to go on well, to prosper, to succeed as an affair, (comp. Germ. durchgehn, Fortgang haben; Lat. lex perfertur; Heb. אָשַׁר, כָּשַׁר), Isaiah 53:10 comp. 54:17 used of a man in an affair, Psalms 45:5; Jeremiah 22:30 to flourish, of a plant (fortkommen), Ezekiel 17:9, 10 Ezekiel 17:10. Followed by לְ to prosper for anything, to be fit for anything, Jeremiah 13:7, 10 Jeremiah 13:10. (Arab. صَلُحَ to be fit.)
(1) trans. to make successful, to prosper
(a) any one’s affair, Genesis 24:21, 56 Genesis 24:56, 39:3, 23 Genesis 39:23.
(b) any person, followed by an acc. of person, 2 Chronicles 26:5 followed by לְ Nehemiah 1:11, 2:20.
(2) to accomplish prosperously, to finish well, 2 Chronicles 7:11; Daniel 8:25 especially with the nouns דַּרְכּוֹ, דְּרָכָיו to make one’s way or counsel prosper, to be successful, Deuteronomy 28:29. Psalms 37:7, מַצְלִיחַ דַּרְכּוֹ “one who is successful in all things.” Hence without the acc. to be successful, as an undertaking, Judges 18:5 as a person in any undertaking, 1 Kings 22:12, 15 1 Kings 22:15; 1 Chronicles 22:13, 29:23 2 Chronicles 18:14; Proverbs 28:13; Jeremiah 2:37.
the Third Sunday after Epiphany