Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #8283 - שָׂרָה
Sarah = “noblewoman”
1) wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac
(1) to place in a row, to set in order; Arab. سار Med. Waw, reihen, ordnen. Hence שׂוֹרָה series, order, row; which see.
(2) to be leader, commander, prince, i.q. שׂוּר No. I. 2, and שָׂרַר; from setting in order, arranging soldiers. Arab. سَرُوَ to be noble, liberal; سَِرىُّ a prince, a noble.
(3) to fight (prop. to wage war) with any one; followed by עִם Genesis 32:29 followed by אֵת Hosea 12:4 (Arab. شرا Conj. III. id.). Fut. is taken from שׂוּר No. I.
Derivatives, שׂוֹרָה, מִשְׂרָה and pr. names שָׂרַי, שְׂרָיָה, יִשְׂרָאֵל.
שָׂרָה f. of the noun שַׂר
(1) a princess, a noble lady, Judges 5:29; Esther 1:18; Isaiah 49:23 specially of the wives of a king of noble birth, 1 Kings 11:3 who differed from the concubines; comp. Song of Solomon 6:8. Metaph. Lamentations 1:1, שָׂרָתִי בַּמְּדִינוֹת “princess of the provinces.”
(2) pr.n. Sarah; see שָׂרַי.
the Third Week after Epiphany