the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #8282 - שָׂרָה
1) princess, noblewoman, noble lady
1342) rx (סר SR) AC: Rule CO: Ruler AB: Noble: The pictograph x is a picture of a thorn representing a turning, the r is a picture of a head. Combined these mean "turn the head". The turning of the head to another direction. One who rules turns the people to his direction. The turning the head of the child or student into a particular direction.
Nm) rx (סר SR) - I. Noble:One who has authority. [df: rV]II. Heavy:The weight of responsibility on one in authority. KJV (424): prince, captain, chief, ruler, governor, keeper, principal, general, lord, heavy, sad - Strongs: H5620 (סַר), H8269 (שַׂר)
V) rrx (סרר SRR) - I. Rule:To make others turn in the direction of the ruler. [df: rrV]II. Turn:To turn away from the correct path toward another direction. KJV (22): (vf: Paal) rule, prince, altogether, rebellious, stubborn, revolter, revolting, backslide, away, withdrew - Strongs: H5637 (סָרַר), H8323 (שָׂרַר)
C) rxa (אסר ASR) AC: Bind CO: ? AB: ?: The yoke is bound to the neck of the oxen and used by the driver to turn the head of the oxen. A yoke was also used for prisoners. A binding of someone or something to move it by force.
V) rfx (סור SWR) - I. Remove:In the sense of turning something away. [df: rwV]II. Rule:To turn the heads of the people. KJV (305): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hophal) away, depart, remove, aside, take, turn, take, go, put, eschew, reign, power, prince - Strongs: H5493 (שׂוּר), H7786 (שׂוּר), H7787 (שׂוּר)
V) rxi (יסר YSR) - Correct: To make a change in direction through instruction or chastisement. KJV (9): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) chastise, instruct, correct, taught, bound, punish, reform, reprove - Strongs: H3256 (יָסַר)
- A2345 Rxm (Commit)
- A2504 Brx (Brier)
- A2505 Crx (Wrap, Branch)
- A2506 Drx (Remain, Remnant)
- A2507 Hrx (Exceed)
- A2509 Krx (Twist, Lace)
- A2510 Xrx (Castrate, Eunuch)
- A2511 Orx (Exceed)
- A2758 Nzr (Rule, Prince)
- A2776 Nxr (Halter)
- A3041 Dprx ()
- A3023 Rxpu ()
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) to place in a row, to set in order; Arab. سار Med. Waw, reihen, ordnen. Hence שׂוֹרָה series, order, row; which see.
(2) to be leader, commander, prince, i.q. שׂוּר No. I. 2, and שָׂרַר; from setting in order, arranging soldiers. Arab. سَرُوَ to be noble, liberal; سَِرىُّ a prince, a noble.
(3) to fight (prop. to wage war) with any one; followed by עִם Genesis 32:29 followed by אֵת Hosea 12:4 (Arab. شرا Conj. III. id.). Fut. is taken from שׂוּר No. I.
Derivatives, שׂוֹרָה, מִשְׂרָה and pr. names שָׂרַי, שְׂרָיָה, יִשְׂרָאֵל.
שָׂרָה f. of the noun שַׂר
(1) a princess, a noble lady, Judges 5:29; Esther 1:18; Isaiah 49:23 specially of the wives of a king of noble birth, 1 Kings 11:3 who differed from the concubines; comp. Song of Solomon 6:8. Metaph. Lamentations 1:1, שָׂרָתִי בַּמְּדִינוֹת “princess of the provinces.”
(2) pr.n. Sarah; see שָׂרַי.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.