free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
PRIESTHOOD OF CHRIST AND AARON
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER COVENANT THAN AARON (Hebrews 8:0 )
Better not morally, but efficaciously, i.e., established on better promises (Hebrews 8:6 ), in the sense that they are written on the heart rather than tablets of stone (Hebrews 8:10 ); that they are universal in their application and not limited to a single people (Hebrews 8:11 ); and that they bring with them eternal forgiveness.
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER TABERNACLE (Hebrews 9:1-14 ) ·
It is not a material but a spiritual structure (Hebrews 9:11 ).
· It is hallowed not by the blood of beasts but by His own blood (Hebrews 9:12 ).
· It stands not for temporary but eternal redemption (Hebrews 9:12-14 ).
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER SACRIFICE (Hebrews 9:15 to Hebrews 10:18 )
Not a sacrifice of calves and goats (Hebrews 9:19 ) but the sacrifice of Himself (Hebrews 9:23 ); · Not a sacrifice repeated every year (Hebrews 9:25 ) but offered only once (Hebrews 9:26 ); ·A sacrifice which does away with the covenant of the Old Testament and establishes that of the New (Hebrews 10:5-9 ).
The reference to the sacrifice offered but once is worked out richly: first, the fact is stated (Hebrews 9:24-26 ); secondly, an inference is drawn from it (Hebrews 10:1-3 ); third, the fact is emphasized anew (Hebrews 10:4-13 ), and finally its precious truth is applied (Hebrews 10:14-18 ).
1. In what sense is the covenant of Christ’s priesthood better than that of Aaron?
2. In what sense is it established on better promises?
3. In what sense is Christ a priest of a better tabernacle?
4. In what sense is He a priest of a better sacrifice?
5. Have you tried to work out in detail the exposition of Hebrews 9:24 to Hebrews 10:18 ?
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Gray, James. "Commentary on Hebrews 9". Gray's Concise Bible Commentary. https://www.studylight.org/
the Second Week after Epiphany