PRIESTHOOD OF CHRIST AND AARON
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER COVENANT THAN AARON (Hebrews 8)
Better not morally, but efficaciously, i.e., established on better promises (Hebrews 8:6), in the sense that they are written on the heart rather than tablets of stone (Hebrews 8:10); that they are universal in their application and not limited to a single people (Hebrews 8:11); and that they bring with them eternal forgiveness.
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER TABERNACLE (Hebrews 9:1-14) ·
It is not a material but a spiritual structure (Hebrews 9:11).
· It is hallowed not by the blood of beasts but by His own blood (Hebrews 9:12).
· It stands not for temporary but eternal redemption (Hebrews 9:12-14).
CHRIST IS A PRIEST OF A BETTER SACRIFICE (Hebrews 9:15 to Hebrews 10:18)
Not a sacrifice of calves and goats (Hebrews 9:19) but the sacrifice of Himself (Hebrews 9:23); · Not a sacrifice repeated every year (Hebrews 9:25) but offered only once (Hebrews 9:26); ·A sacrifice which does away with the covenant of the Old Testament and establishes that of the New (Hebrews 10:5-9).
The reference to the sacrifice offered but once is worked out richly: first, the fact is stated (Hebrews 9:24-26); secondly, an inference is drawn from it (Hebrews 10:1-3); third, the fact is emphasized anew (Hebrews 10:4-13), and finally its precious truth is applied (Hebrews 10:14-18).
1. In what sense is the covenant of Christ’s priesthood better than that of Aaron?
2. In what sense is it established on better promises?
3. In what sense is Christ a priest of a better tabernacle?
4. In what sense is He a priest of a better sacrifice?
5. Have you tried to work out in detail the exposition of Hebrews 9:24 to Hebrews 10:18?
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Gray, James. "Commentary on Hebrews 8". The James Gray's Concise Bible Commentary. https://www.studylight.org/
the Third Week after Epiphany