Click here to get started today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
This word signifies beaten or bruised, as with hard blows, or an heaver burden; and so in Scripture language imports one whose heart is broken and wounded for sin, on opposition to the heart of stone, Is. 66: 2. Psalms 51:17 . Psa 57: 15. The evidences of a broken and contrite spirit are,
1. Deep conviction of the evil of sin.
2. Humiliation under a sense of it, Job 42:5; Job 6:1-30 :
3. Pungent sorrow for it, Zechariah 12:10 .
4. Ingenuous confession of it, 1 John 1:9 .
5. Prayer for deliverance from it, Psalms 51:10 . Luke 18:13 .
6. Susceptibility of good impressions, Ezekiel 11:19 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Contrite'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/c/contrite.html. 1802.