Click here to get started today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
Vigilance, or care to avoid surrounding enemies and dangers. We are to watch against the insinuations of Satan; the allurements of the world; the deceitfulness of our hearts; the doctrines of the erroneous; and, indeed, against every thing that would prove inimical to our best interests. We are to exercise this duty at all times, in all places, and under all circumstances, 1 Corinthians 16:13 . Luke 12:37 .
To watch, is also to wait for and expect: thus we are,
1. To watch the providence of God.
2. The fulfillment of the prophecies.
3. God's time for our deliverance from troubles, Psalms 130:1-8 :
4. We are to watch unto prayer, Ephesians 6:18 .
5. For death and judgment, Mark 13:37 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Watchfulness'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/w/watchfulness.html. 1802.