free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
1. Literally, higher in place.
The fowls that fly above the earth. Genesis 1:20.
2. Figuratively, superior in any respect.
I saw a light above the brightness of the Sun, Acts 26.
The price of a virtuous woman is above rubies, Proverbs 31 .
3. More in number or quantity.
He was seen by above five hundred brethren at once, 1 Corinthians 25 .
The weight is above a tun.
4. More in degree in a greater degree.
Hannaniah feared God above many. Nehemiah 7:2.
The serpent is cursed above all cattle. Genesis 3
5. Beyond in excess.
In stripes above measure. 2 Corinthians 11
God will not suffer you to be tempted above what ye are able, 1 Corinthians 10:13 .
6. Beyond in a state to be unattainable as things above comprehension.
7. Too proud for.
This man is above his business.
8. Too elevated in mind or rank having too much dignity for as
This man is above mean actions.
9. It is often used elliptically, for heaven, or the celestial regions.
Let not God regard it from above, Job 3.
The powers above.
10. In a book or writing, it denotes before or in a former place, as what has been said above supra. This mode of speaking originated in the ancient manner of writing, on a strip of parchment, beginning at one end and proceeding to the other. The beginning was the upper end.
1. Overhead in a higher place.
3. Chief in rank or power. Deuteronomy 28 .
Above all is elliptical above all considerations chiefly in preference to other things.
Above board above the board or table in open sight without trick, concealment or deception. This expression is said by Johnson to be borrowed from gamesters, who, when they change their cards, put their hands under the table.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Above'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/a/above.html.