Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
EDGE, n. L. acies, acus.
1. In a general sense, the extreme border or point of any thing as the edge of the table the edge of a book the edge of cloth. It coincides nearly with border, brink, margin. It is particularly applied to the sharp border, the thin cutting extremity of an instrument, as the edge of an ax, razor, knife or scythe also, to the point of an instrument, as the edge of a sword.
2. Figuratively, that which cuts or penetrates that which wounds or injures as the edge of slander.
3. A narrow part rising from a broader.
Some harrow their ground over, and then plow it upon an edge.
4. Sharpness of mind or appetite keenness intenseness of desire fitness for action or operation as the edge of appetite or hunger.
Silence and solitude set an edge on the genius.
5. Keenness sharpness acrimony.
Abate the edge of traitors.
To set the teeth on edge, to cause a tingling or grating sensation in the teeth.
1. To sharpen.
To edge her champion's sword.
2. To furnish with an edge.
A sword edged with flint.
3. To border to fringe.
A long descending train,
With rubies edged.
4. To border to furnish with an ornamental border as, to edge a flower-bed with box.
5. To sharpen to exasperate to embitter.
By such reasonings,the simple were blinded, and the malicious edged.
6. To incite to provoke to urge on to instigate that is, to push on as with a sharp point to goad. Ardor or passion will edge a man forward,when arguments fail.
7. To move sideways to move by little and little as, edge your chair along.
EDGE, To move sideways to move gradually. Edge along this way.
1. To sail close to the wind.
To edge away, in sailing, is to decline gradually from the shore or from the line of the course.
To edge in with, to draw near to, as a ship in chasing.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Edge'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/e/edge.html.