the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6310 - פֶּה
1a) mouth (of man)
1b) mouth (as organ of speech)
1c) mouth (of animals)
1d) mouth, opening, orifice (of a well, river, etc)
1e) extremity, end
2) a weight equal to one third of a shekel, occurs only in 1 Samuel 13:21
1373) ep (פה PH) AC: Blow CO: Mouth AB: ?: The pictograph p is a picture of the mouth. A mouth is the edge of anything such as the place of the beard, a sword, a region. The edge or border, is often referring to all that is within the borders, the whole country. This parent root is identical to both apand ip.
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1. a. mouth, of Prayer of Manasseh , organ of eating and drinking Genesis 25:28; Judges 7:6; 1 Samuel 14:26,27; Nehemiah 9:20; Proverbs 19:24 = Proverbs 26:15 +; figurative as finding things sweet Job 20:12; Psalm 119:103; figurative of earth Genesis 4:11, swallowing Korah, etc. Numbers 16:30,32; Numbers 26:10; Deuteronomy 11:6; figurative also of Sh®°ôl, וּפָֽעֲרָה פִיהָ Isaiah 5:14, compare Psalm 69:16.
b. external organ, וַיָּשֶׂם מִּיו עַלמִּֿיו 2 Kings 4:34; Proverbs 30:20; of kissing 1 Kings 19:18; Song of Solomon 1:2, וַתִּשַּׁק יָדִי לְפִי Job 31:27; compare phrase שִׂים יָד עַלמֶּֿה (of keeping silence) Judges 18:19; Micah 7:16; Job 21:5, compare Job 29:9; Job 40:4; Proverbs 30:32; of mocking triumph ׳מָּעַר עָלַי בְּפ Job 16:10; עַל׳הִרְחִיב פ Psalm 35:21; Isaiah 57:4, also רָחַב מִּי עַל 1 Samuel 2:1.
c. of ׳י in theoph., sending out fire 2 Samuel 22:9 = Psalm 18:9.
2. a. much oftener, as organ of speech, of man:׳פ speaks Genesis 45:12; 2 Samuel 1:16; Isaiah 9:16; Job 9:20; Job 15:5,6; Psalm 37:30 +; speak בְּמוֺפִֿי Job 19:16; open ׳פ, ׳אֶליֿ Judges 11:35,36, absolute Job 3:1; Job 33:2 +; shut ׳פ (be silent) Isaiah 52:15, compare ׳חָשַׂךְ פ Job 7:11, and (of iniquity, personified) ׳קָצַף פ Job 5:16; Psalm 107:42; guard ׳פ, Proverbs 13:3 (נָצַר), Proverbs 21:23 (שָׁמַר), compare ׳שָׁמַר מִּתְחֵי פ Micah 7:5, also Psalm 39:2 (see שׁמר); words, etc., are in (ב) mouth 2 Samuel 17:5; 2 Samuel 18:25; Deuteronomy 30:14; 1 Kings 17:24; ׳שִׂים דְּבָרִים בְּפ 2 Samuel 14:3,19; Exodus 4:15, also (God subject) Numbers 22:38; Numbers 23:12,16 +; of utterance ׳יָצָא מִמּ Judges 11:36; Numbers 30:3; Numbers 32:24; Joshua 6:10 +; depart from mouth (cease to be mentioned) ׳מוּשׁ מִמּ Joshua 1:8; Isaiah 59:21, compare ׳נִכְרַת מִמּ Jeremiah 7:28, לֹא יִשָּׁמַע עַלמִּֿיךָ Exodus 23:13; ׳אִמְרֵי פ Deuteronomy 32:1 words of my mouth, so Job 8:2; Psalm 19:15; Psalm 54:4; ׳דְּבְרֵי פ Psalm 36:4; Ecclesiastes 10:12; of agency, ׳כְּמּ by the mouth of 2 Chronicles 36:21,22 = ׳מִמּ Ezra 1:1; דִּכֶּר מִּיו עִםמִּֿיו Jeremiah 32:4 speak mouth to mouth = Jeremiah 34:3; ׳פ = speech, sayings Isaiah 29:13; Psalm 49:14; Ecclesiastes 10:3; ׳כְּבַד פ Exodus 4:10 heavy of speech (not eloquent); ׳אֶהְיֶה עִםפֿ Exodus 4:12; Exodus 4:15, i.e. aid thee in speaking; ׳יִהְיֶהלְּֿךָ לְפ Exodus 4:16 he shall be mouth for thee; מִמִּיו יִקְרָא אֵלַי Jeremiah 36:18, i.e. dictate; ׳כָּתַב מִמּ see כָּתַב 1 b (3); bad qualities ascribed to it, ׳עִקְּשׁוּת פ Proverbs 4:24; Proverbs 6:12; מִּי תַהְמֻּכוֺת Proverbs 8:13; מֶּה חָלָק Proverbs 26:28; ׳אַלתַּֿגְדֵּל פ Obadiah 12, compare Micah 6:12; Ezekiel 35:13.
b. as laughing Job 8:21; Psalm 126:2; panting Psalm 119:131.
c. of God; his mouth speaks Isaiah 1:20; Isaiah 40:5; Jeremiah 9:11 +; he speaks ׳בְּפ 1 Kings 8:15,34; word proceeds ׳מִמּ Deuteronomy 8:3; Isaiah 45:23 +; מֶּה אֶלמֶּֿה אֲדַכֵּר כּוֺ Numbers 12:8; he creates בְּרוּחַ מִּיו Psalm 33:6; he executes judgment כְּשֵׁבֶט מִּיו Isaiah 11:4; especially = command: ׳עָבַר אֶתמִּֿי י 1 Samuel 15:24; Numbers 14:41, compare Numbers 22:18; Proverbs 8:29; ׳פ (אֶתֿ) מָרָה 1 Samuel 12:14,15; Numbers 20:24; 1 Kings 13:21 +; compare
d. of idols, Psalm 115:5; Psalm 136:16; Psalm 136:17.
e. of musical instrument = sound Amos 6:5 (compare 6d).
3 of animals: bird Genesis 8:11 (carrying), Isaiah 10:14 (chirping); ass Numbers 22:28 (speaking); bear, lion 1 Samuel 17:35 (seizing), Amos 3:12 ( id.), hippop. Job 40:23 (drinking), crocodile Job 41:11; Job 41:13 (breathing flame); also of human foes, under figure of ravenous beasts Psalm 22:22; Ezekiel 21:27; Ezekiel 34:10; מָּצָהעַל ׳פ Psalm 22:14; Lamentations 2:16; Lamentations 3:46; hence of edge of sword, חֶרֶב מִּיּוֺת Proverbs 5:4 a sword with edges (in simile), = ׳חמִּיפִיּוֺת Psalm 149:6; compare Judges 3:16; see also 6c (2), below; בַּעַל מִּיפִיּוֺת Isaiah 41:15, of מוֺרַג.
4 mouth = opening, orifice; of well Genesis 29:2,3(twice in verse); Genesis 29:8,10; cave Joshua 10:18,22,27; ravine, abyss Jeremiah 48:28 (si vera lectio, compare Gie); also of Sh®°ôl Psalm 141:7; of a sack Genesis 42:27; Genesis 43:12,21; Genesis 44:1,2,8; ephah Zechariah 5:8; high-priest's robe Exodus 28:32 5t., compare probably Psalm 133:2; tunic Job 30:18; of a round opening also 1 Kings 7:31 (3t. in verse) (on text and meaning see Benz Kit); of mouth of Nile Isaiah 19:7 (others brink); gate of city Proverbs 8:3 (but read perhaps לִפְנֵי, see Toy).
5. a. extremity, end מֶּה לָפֶה from end to end, of a temple 2 Kings 10:21; city 2 Kings 21:16, מִמֶּה אֶלמֶּֿה of land Ezra 9:11.
b. = portion, מִּישְׁנַיִם Deuteronomy 21:17; 2 Kings 2:9; Zechariah 13:8.
6 with prepositions: —
a. אֶל מִּי, see below
b.כְּפִי: ( a) according to the command of, 1 Chronicles 12:23; ( b) according to the mouth of, i.e. in proportion to (compare Assyrian ki-i pi-i, Dl HWB 325), Exodus 16:21 they gathered it אִישׁ כְּפִי אָכְלוֺ each in proportion to his eating ( Exodus 16:16; Exodus 16:18 לְפִי), Leviticus 25:52 כְּפִישָׁנָיו according to the number of his years (compare Leviticus 25:16 לְפִי); Numbers 6:21; Numbers 7:5 אִישׁ כְּפִי עֲבֹדָתוֺ ( Song of Solomon 2Chronicles 31:2), 2 Chronicles 7:7,8; 35:8 (all P); Job 33:6 הֵןאֲֿנִי כְפִיךָ לָאֵל I am in the proportion of thee as regards God, i.e. I stand towards God even as thou dost. As
conjunction, כְּפִיאֲשֶׁר, Malachi 2:9 כְּפי אֲשֶׁר אֵינְכֶם שֹׁמְרִים אֶתדְּֿרָכַי accusative as ye do not keep, etc.; and without אשׁר Zechariah 2:4 כְּפִי אִישׁלֹֿא נָשָׂא ראֹשׁוֺ in such proportion that none did lift up his head (but We Now אֲשֶׁר for אִישׁ, that it, Judah, did not, etc.).
c.לְפִי, nearly the same with כְּפִי (see לְ
5i b), but more common (compare Aramaic לְפוּם, ): (1) Genesis 47:12 לְפִי הַטָּ֑ף, Exodus 12:4 ye shall compute אִישׁ לְפִי אָכְלוֺ each according to his eating (according to the quantity which his family will consume), Exodus 16:16,18; Leviticus 25:16 לְפִי רֹב הַשָּׁנִים, Leviticus 25:16; Leviticus 25:51; Leviticus 27:16 לְפִי זַרְעוֺ, Numbers 26:54; Joshua 18:4; 1 Kings 17:1 except לְפִי דְבָרִי, Hosea 10:12 קִצְרוּ לְפִי חֶסֶד ("" לִצְדָקָה), Proverbs 12:8; Proverbs 27:2: followed by infinitive Numbers 9:17 לְפִי הֵעָלוֺת הֶעָנָן = accusative as the cloud was lifted up, Jeremiah 29:10. (2) in the phrase לְפִי חֶרֶב according to the mouth, or measure, of the sword, i.e. as the sword devours, without quarter, Genesis 34:26; Exodus 17:13; Numbers 21:24 #NAME?
d.עַל מִּי: (1) according to (עַל
1 f a) the mouth of, i.e. ( a) the command of, Genesis 41:40; Genesis 45:21; Exodus 17:1; Exodus 38:21; Numbers 3:16,39 + (especially P), 2 Kings 23:35; (β) the evidence or sentence of, Deuteronomy 17:6 עַלמִּֿי עֵד אֶחָד, Deuteronomy 19:15; Deuteronomy 21:5 (on עַלמִּֿי הַנָּ֑בֶל Amos 6:5, see
2 e above). (2) according to the measure of, in accordance with, Genesis 43:7 we told him על פי הדברים האלה according to these words (i.e. the questions Joseph asked), Exodus 34:27 in accordance with these words, Leviticus 27:8 עלפֿי אשׁרתַּשִּׂיג יַד הנֹּדֵר according to what the hand of the vower can reach to, Leviticus 27:18 (compare לְפִי Leviticus 25:16,51), Deuteronomy 17:10,11; 2 Samuel 13:32 (but see שׂוּמָה), Proverbs 22:6 חֲנֹךְ לַנַּעַר על פי דרכו. In the same sense אֶל מִּי, Joshua 15:13; Joshua 17:4; Joshua 21:3.
מֻּם noun masculine Daniel 7:8 mouth (compare Biblical Hebrew מֶּה; on form see K§ 61,2) M§ 76f.); — ׳פ absolute Daniel 7:8,20, construct Daniel 4:28 +, suffix מֻּמֵּהּ (on form see K l.c. Nö Zur Gram. d. Class. Arabic 15 (1896) (expansion of biliteral √), Ba ZMG xii (1887), 633f.) Daniel 7:5; — mouth of king Daniel 4:28, lions Daniel 6:23, beast (in vision) Daniel 7:5, horn (ib.) Daniel 7:8; Daniel 7:20; mouth of pit Daniel 6:18.
מַּס see פסם. below
פֶּה const. פִּי, with suff. פִּי (my mouth), פִּיו ;פִּיךָ, פִּיהֶם ;פִּיהוּ, poet. פִּימוֹ pl. פִּים 1 Samuel 13:21, and פִּיּוֹת. Proverbs 5:4 (both of signif. 3).
(1) the mouth. (Arab. فُوهَةُ, فَاهُ, فِيهُ, فُوهُ, const. فا, فى, فو, Eth. አፋ፡, id. The Hebrew form פֶּה is for פֵּיֶה, like שֶׂה for שֵׂיֶה, whence the fem. פֵּיָה; const. פִּי for פּיִי. The root פָּיָה, like פָּהָה, פָּאָה, and Med. quiesc. פּוּא, פּוּהַּ, פּוּחַ, فَاهَ had the sense of blowing, breathing, and the mouth is so called from the idea of breathing. [In Thes. from פָּאָה.] It is used of the mouth of animals (and even of the beak of a bird, Genesis 8:11; Isaiah 10:14); of men, Exodus 4:11 especially as being the organ of speech. To speak פֶּה אֶל־פֶּה mouth to mouth, without any one between, Numbers 12:8 פֶּה אֶחָד with one mouth, with one voice, Joshua 9:2. Job 19:16, בְּמוֹ־פִי “with (all) my mouth”, i.e. with the loudest voice that I can. Meton. for an orator, spokesman, messenger, Exodus 4:16 (comp. נָבִיא); commandment, Ecclesiastes 8:2, פִּי מֶלֶךְ שְׁמֹר “keep the commandment of the king.” Hence עַל פִּי by the command of, see below. More rarely the mouth as the organ of taste, hence Genesis 25:28, “venison (was) בְּפִיו in his mouth”, i.e. he liked its taste. Comp. בְּפִי, כְּפִי. The signification of mouth is variously applied to inanimate things. It is
(2) the mouth, opening of a bag, Genesis 42:27 of a well, Genesis 29:2 entrance of a city, Proverbs 8:3 of Hades, Psalms 141:7.
(3) an edge (a figure taken from the teeth, and the idea of biting), especially in the phrase הִכָּה לְפִי חֶרֶב to smite with the edge of the sword (see נָכָה ). Plur. (see above) the edge (of instruments of iron), 1 Samuel 13:21; Proverbs 5:4. See פִּיפִיּוֹת.
(4) edge, border (from its similarity to a lip), as of a garment, Psalms 133:2; Job 30:18 of the sea, Proverbs 8:29. פֶּה לָפֶה 2 Kings 10:21, 21:16 and מִפֶּה אֶל־פֶּה Ezra 9:11, from one edge to the other.
(5) part, portion (prop. as much food as any one can take in his mouth, comp. יָד No. 7, a portion which can be taken in the hand, a handful), Deuteronomy 21:17, פִּי שְׁנַיִם “two parts”, i.e. double; 2 Kings 2:9 also two (third) parts, Zechariah 13:8.
With prepositions it mostly becomes a particle
(a) according to the commandment of, 1 Chronicles 12:23.
(b) according to the rate of (nach Ausfage), at the rate of, or proportion, according to, Leviticus 25:52, כְּפִי שָׁנָיו “according to his years;” Numbers 6:21, 7:5, 35:8.
(c) i.q. כְּ, כְּמוֹ like as, like, Job 33:6, אֲנִי כְפִיךָ לָאֵל “I, even as thou (am created) by God.”
(d) כְּפִי אֲשֶׁר conj. according as, even as, Malachi 2:9 and without אֲשֶׁר so that, Zechariah 2:4.
(2) לְפִי i.q. כְּפִי (see לְ A, 9 )
(a) at the rate of, according to, Exodus 12:4; Genesis 47:12, לְפִי הַטָּף “according to the number of the family;” Hosea 10:12, “sow ye according to justice, קִצְרוּ לְפִי חֶסֶד and ye shall reap according to mercy.”
(b) followed by an inf. when (i.q. לְ followed by an inf. No. 7), Numbers 9:17; Isaiah 29:10.
(3) עַל פִּי according to the commandment, order of any one, Genesis 45:21; Numbers 3:16, 39, 51 Job 39:27 by the authority of any one, Deuteronomy 17:6 hence i.q. כְּפִי, לְפִי at the rate of, according to, Amos 6:5; Proverbs 22:6. עַל־פִּי הַדְּבָרִים according to the thing itself, i.e. as the thing was, according to the truth of the matter, Genesis 43:7.