Click to donate today!
King James Dictionary
F'AR, a. L. porro Gr. connected with, a way, a passing, to pass or go. See Fare.
1. Distant, in any direction separated by a wide space from the place where one is, or from any given place remote.
They said, we are come from a far country. Joshua 9 .
The kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country. Matthew 25 .
The nation far and near contend in choice.
2. Figuratively, remote from purpose contrary to design or wishes as, far be it from me to justify cruelty.
3. Remote in affection or obedience at enmity with alienated in a spiritual sense.
They that are far from thee shall perish. Psalms 123 .
4. More or most distant of the two as the far side of a horse. But the drivers of teams in New England generally use off as the off side, or off horse or ox.
1. To a great extent or distance of space as the far extended ocean we are separated far from each other.
Only ye shall not go very far away. Exodus 8 .
2. figuratively, distantly in time from any point remotely. He pushed his researches very far into antiquity.
3. In interrogatories, to what distance or extent. How far will such reasoning lead us?
4. In great part as, the day is far spent.
5. In a great proportion by many degrees very much.
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. Proverbs 31 .
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ, which is far better. Philippians 1 .
6. to a certain point, degree or distance. This argument is sound and logical, as far as it goes.
Answer them how far forth you do like their articles.
From far, from a great distance from a remote place.
Far from, at a great distance as far from home far from hope.
1. Far off, at a great distance.
They tarried in a place that was far off. 2 Samuel 15 .
2. To a great distance.
Lo then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Psalms 105 .
3. In a spiritual sense, alienated at enmity in a state of ignorance and alienation.
Ye, who were sometime far off, are made nigh by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2 .
Far other, very different.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Far'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/f/far.html.