Click to donate today!
King James Dictionary
1. A tract of land leased on rent reserved ground let to a tenant on condition of his paying a certain sum annually or otherwise for the use of it. A farm is usually such a portion of land as is cultivated by one man, and includes the buildings and fences. Rents were formerly pain in provisions, or the produce of land but now they are generally paid in money.
This is the signification of farm in Great Britain, where most of the land is leased to cultivators.
2. In the United States, a portion or tract of land, consisting usually of grass land, meadow, pasture, tillage and woodland, cultivated by one man and usually owned by him in fee. A like tract of land under lease is called a farm but most cultivators are proprietors of the land, and called farmers.
A tract of new land, covered with forest, if intended to be cultivated by one man as owner, is also called a farm. A man goes into the new States, or into the unsettled country, to buy a farm, that is, land for a farm.
3. The state of land leased on rent reserved a lease.
It is great wilfulness in landlords to make any longer farms to their tenants.
1. To lease, as land, on rent reserved to let to a tenant on condition of paying rent.
We are enforced to farm our royal realm.
In this sense, I believe, the word is not used in America.
2. To take at a certain rent or rate. Not used in America.
3. To lease or let, as taxes, impost or other duties, at a certain sum or rate per cent. It is customary in many countries for the prince or government to farm the revenues, the taxes or rents, the imposts and excise, to individuals, who are to collect and pay them to the government at a certain percentage or rate per cent.
4. To take or hire for a certain rate per cent.
5. To cultivate land.
To farm let, or let to farm, is to lease on rent.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Farm'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/f/farm.html.