Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
RACE, n. L. radix and radius having the same original. This word coincides in origin with rod, ray, radiate, &c.
1. The lineage of a family, or continued series of descendants from a parent who is called the stock. A race is the series of descendants indefinitely. Thus all mankind are called the race of Adam the Israelites are of the race of Abraham and Jacob. Thus we speak of a race of kings, the race of Clovis or Charlemagne a race of nobles, &c.
Hence the long race of Alban fathers come.
2. A generation a family of descendants. A race of youthful and unhandled colts.
3. A particular breed as a race of mules a race of horses a race of sheep.
Of such a race no matter who is king.
4. A root as race-ginger, ginger in the root or not pulverized.
5. A particular strength or taste of wine a kind of tartness.
RACE, n. L. gradior, gressus, with the prefix g. Eng. ride.
1. A running a rapid course or motion, either on the feet, on horseback or in a carriage, &c. particularly, a contest in running a running in competition for a prize.
The race was one of the exercises of the Grecian games.
I wield the gauntlet and I run the race.
2. Any sunning with speed.
The flight of many birds is swifter than the race of any beast.
3. A progress a course a movement or progression of any kind.
My race of glory run.
Let us run with patience the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12 .
4. Course train process as the prosecution and race of the war. Not now used.
5. A strong or rapid current of water, or the channel or passage for such a current as a mill-race.
6. By way of distinction, a contest in the running of horses generally in the plural. The races commence in October.
RACE, To run swiftly to run or contend in running. The animals raced over the ground.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Race'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/r/race.html.