Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
King James Dictionary
TRY, To exert strength to endeavor to make an effort to attempt. Try to learn try to lift a weight. The horses tried to draw the load. These phrases give the true sense.
TRY, To examine to make experiment on to prove by experiment.
Come, try upon yourselves what you have seen me.
1. To experience to have knowledge by experience of.
Or try the Libyan heat, or Scythian cold.
2. To prove by a test as, to try weights and measures by a standard to try one's opinions by the divine oracles.
3. To act upon as a test.
The fire sev'n times tried this.
4. To examine judicially by witnesses and the principles of law as causes tried in court.
5. To essay to attempt.
Let us try advent'rous work.
6. To purify to refine as silver seven times tried.
7. To search carefully into. Psalms 11
8. To use as means as, to try remedies for a disease.
9. To strain as, to try the eyes the literal sense of the word.
To try tallow, &c. is to melt and separate it from the membranes.
To tryout, to pursue efforts till a decision is obtained.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Try'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/t/try.html.