Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
The words καλέω, κλῆσις, κλητός, have various applications in scripture. There is:
1. the usual position or occupation of a person, as slave or freeman: the Christian is exhorted to continue in his calling if he can do so with God. 1 Cor. 7:20-24.
2. The general 'call' or invitation by the gospel, in contradistinction from those that are 'chosen.' Matthew 20:16; Matthew 22:14 .
3. God's call to individuals, when he also makes them willing to obey: as when Abraham was called to leave his country and kindred. Hebrews 11:8 .
4. In an absolute sense for salvation: 'whom he did predestinate, them he also called: whom he called, them he also justified.' Romans 8:30; Romans 11:29 . The saints are saints by calling; the apostles were apostles by calling. Romans 1:1,7 . The Christian is exhorted to use diligence to make his 'calling and election' sure, 2 Peter 1:10 , evidently not in the mind of God, but in his own mind.
5. We read of the 'high' calling, the 'holy' calling, and the 'heavenly' calling. Philippians 3:14; 2 Timothy 1:9; Hebrews 3:1 . The 'vocation' in Ephesians 4:1 is the same word.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Calling'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/c/calling.html. 1897.