Click to donate today!
Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia
- The Tempter . The woman was approached by the serpent, Devil (Genesis 3:1; Revelation 12:9; Revelation 20:2 ).
- Means . He approached her by speaking in her own language and by Falsely interpreting the law of God (Genesis 3:1-5; John 8:44 ).
- Points Tempted . The woman was tempted in
- the lust of the flesh,
- the lust of the eye,
- and the pride of life (Genesis 3:1-6; 1 John 2:16 ).
- Results . The woman was deceived (2 Corinthians 11:3 ); the man was not (1 Timothy 2:13-15 ), but the eating of the fruit brought the speedy sentence of death (Genesis 2:16,17; Romans 5:12-19 ). All the guilty parties were involved in the results.
- General Results .
- The serpent was doomed to disgrace and destruction;
- the woman was doomed to sorrow in child-bearing and subserviency to her husband;
- and the man was doomed to sorrow, disappointment, and hard labor (Genesis 3:14-19 ).
- Remote Results . Man's will power was doubtless weakened by Transgression, but he still had the power to partake of the tree and Life and live forever (Genesis 3:22-24 ). His memory was doubtless weakened by sin, but he remembered all the circumstances of the temptation and Transgression (Genesis 3:1-13 ). His reason was doubtless weakened by disobedience, but he was able to attempt to shift the responsibility From his shoulders when confronted with the results of his crime (Genesis 3:12,13 ).
- Causes of Sin and Death . Sin, death, and their terrible consequences were brought about by
- and yielding to a lie.
These files are public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available from the Online-Bible.
Johnson, Ashley S. Entry for 'Temptation, the'. Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/cbc/t/temptation-the.html. 1896.
the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34