Partner with StudyLight.org as God uses us to make a difference for those displaced by Russia's war on Ukraine.Click to donate today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
jṓ - hā´nan ( יוחנן , yōḥānān , "Yahweh has been gracious"; Ἰωανάν , Iōanán ; compare JEHOHANAN ):
(1) Son of Kareah, and one of "the captains of the forces who were in the fields" (i.e. probably guerrilla bands), who allied with Gedaliah, governor of Judah, after the fall of Jerusalem, 586 BC (2 Kings 25:23; Jer 40:7 through 43:7). He warned Gedaliah of the plot of Ishmael ben Nethaniah, who was instigated by the Ammonite king Baalis, to murder the governor; but the latter refused to believe him nor would he grant Johanan permission to slay Ishmael (Jeremiah 40:8-16 ). After Ishmael had murdered Gedaliah and also 70 northern pilgrims, Johanan went in pursuit. He was joined by the unwilling followers of Ishmael, but the murderer escaped. Thereupon Johanan settled at Geruth-Chimham near Bethlehem (Jer 41). As Ishmael's plan was to take the remnant to the land of Ammon, so that of Johanan and his fellow-chiefs was to go to Egypt. They consulted the Divine oracle through Jeremiah, and received the answer that they should remain in Judah (Jer 42). But the prophet was accused of giving false counsel and of being influenced by Baruch. The chiefs then resolved to go to Egypt, and forced Jeremiah and Baruch to accompany them (Jeremiah 43:1-13 ).
(2) The eldest son of King Josiah (1 Chronicles 3:15 ), apparently = "Jehoahaz" (2 Kings 23:30-33 ).
(3) Son of Elioenai, and a Davidic post-exilic prince (1 Chronicles 3:24 ).
(4) Father of the Azariah who was priest in Solomon's time (1 Chronicles 6:9 , 1 Chronicles 6:10 (Hebrew 5:35, 36)).
(5) A B enjamite recruit of David at Ziklag, but perhaps a Judean (1 Chronicles 12:4 (Hebrew 5)).
(6) A G adite recruit of David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:12 (Hebrew 13)).
(7) Hebrew has "Jehohanan," an Ephraimite chief (2 Chronicles 28:12 ).
(8) A returned exile (Ezra 8:12 ) = "Joannes" (1 Esdras 8:38, the King James Version "Johannes").
(9) Nehemiah 12:22 , Nehemiah 12:23 = JEHOHANAN , (3).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Johanan'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/j/johanan.html. 1915.