the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1918 - ἐπιγαμβρεύω
- to be related to by marriage, enter into affinity with
- become any one's father-in-law or son-in-law
- to marry the widow of a brother who has died childless
1. become son-in-law, τῷ βασιλεῖ LXX 1 Samuel 18:22, cf. Lyd. Mens. 1.13.
2.. become father-in-law, τινί LXX 1 Maccabees 10:54; 1 Maccabees 10:56.
II. ἐ. γυναῖκα take a woman to wife as her husband's next of kin, ib. Genesis 38:8 (v.l.), Matthew 22:24.
III. Med., intermarry with, LXX Genesis 34:9, 2 Chronicles 18:1.
ἐπιγαμβρεύω: future ἐπιγαμβρεύσω; to be related to by marriage, enter into affinity with;
2. τινα, for יִבֵּם, to marry the widow of a brother who has died childless: Genesis 38:8; Matthew 22:24, where allusion is made to the levirate law recorded in Deuteronomy 25:5-10; cf. Winers RWB, under the word Leviratsehe; (BB. DD., under the word
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
† ἐπι -γαμβρεύω
(< γαμβρός , a connection by marriage),
1. to enter into affinity with: c. dat. (LXX, ll. c., exc. Genesis 38:8).
2. to marry (as deceased husband's next of kin, cf. Genesis 38:8): c. acc, Matthew 22:24.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For this terminus technicus which is used c. acc. in sense of ";take to wife after"; in Matthew 22:24, under the influence of Genesis 38:8, see Anz Subsidia, p. 378. Elsewhere in the LXX (e.g. 1 Kings 18:22) it represents the Heb. הִתֲחתֵּן = ";become son-in-law.";
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.