the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #2197 - Ζαχαρίας
Zacharias meaning "remembered of Jehovah"
- the father of John the Baptist
- son of Barachias, who was slain by the Jews between the altar and the temple
Ζαχαρίας, Ζαχαριου, ὁ (זְכַרְיָה and זְכַריָהוּ i. e. whom Jehovah remembered), Zacharias or Zachariah or Zechariah;
2. a prophet, the son of Jehoiada the priest, who was stoned to death in the middle of the
c. 23); others think (so quite recently Keim, iii. 184 (English translation, see 218), cf. Weiss, das Matthäusevang., p. 499) a certain Zachariah son of Baruch (according to another reading Βαρισκαιου), who during the war between the Jews and the Romans was slain by the zealots ἐν μέσῳ τῷ ἱερῷ, as Josephus, b. j. 4, 5, 4 relates. Those who hold this opinion believe, either that Jesus divinely predicted this murder and in the prophetic style said ἐφονεύσατε for φονευσετε (cf. Buttmann, § 137, 4; Winers Grammar, 273 (256) n.; § 40, 5 b.), or that the Evangelist, writing after the destruction of Jerusalem, by an anachronism put this murder into the discourse of Jesus. These inventions are fully refuted by Fritzsche on Matthew, the passage cited, and Bleek, Erklär. der drei ersten Evangg. ii., p. 177ff; cf. Hilgenfeld, Einl. in d. N. T., p. 487f; (and Dr. James Morison, Commentary on Matthew, the passage cited; B. D., under Zechariah 6, and under Zechariah 11).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
Ζαχαρίας , -ου , ὁ
1. Zacharias, father of John the Baptist: Luke 1:5; Luke 1:12-13; Luke 1:18; Luke 1:21; Luke 1:40; Luke 1:59; Luke 1:67; Luke 3:2.
2. Zechariah, the son of Jehoiada (in txt. wrongly called son of Barachiah; cf. 2 Chronicles 24:19 ff.): Matthew 23:35, Luke 11:51.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.