Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #4992 - σωτήριον
- saving, bringing salvation
- he who embodies this salvation, or through whom God is about to achieve it
- the hope of (future) salvation
Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun
σωτήριος , -ον
(< σωτήρ ),
saving, bringing salvation, in NT always in spiritual sense (see σώζω , σωτηρία ): ἡ χάρις ἡ σ ., Titus 2:1. Neut., -τὸ σ ., as subst. (cl.), salvation: Luke 2:30; τ . σ . τ . θεοῦ , Luke 3:6, Acts 28:28; περικεφαλαίαν τοῦ σ ., Ephesians 6:17.†
σωτήριον , see σωτήριος .
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
(1) ";honour,"; as in John 4:44 : P Tebt I. 33.4 (B.C. 112) (= Selections, p. 30) preparations for the visit of a Roman senator, who is described as ἐν μίζονι ἀξιώματι κα [ὶ ] τιμῆι κείμενος, ";occupying a position of highest rank and honour,"; and P Oxy I. 41.17 (iii/iv A.D.) account of a popular demonstration in honour of the prytanis, who replies τὴν μὲν παρ᾽ ὑμῶν τιμὴν ἀσπάζομαι καί γε ἐπὶ τούτῳ σφόδρα χαίρω, ";I acknowledge with great pleasure the honour which you do me"; (Edd.). Hence the phrase εἰς τὴν τιμήν, ";out of regard for,"; in such passages as BGU III. 844.19 (A.D. 83) (= Olsson Papyrusbriefe, p. 140) καλῶς δὲ ποιήσεις παρασχὼν Διοσκόρῳ χάνας ι ̄ εἰς ἐμὴν τειμήν, and P Giss I. 66.11 (early ii/A.D.) ἐρωτῶ [σ ]ε εἴς τε τὴν τῶν θεῶν εὐσέβειαν καὶ εἰς ἡμετέραν ̣ τιμὴν ̣ ἀπολῦσαι αὐτο ̣[ν. With 1 Corinthians 12:23 we may compare BGU IV. 1141.19 (B.C. 14) ει ̣̔ς ̣ σὺ μέν μοι καὶ τιμὴν περιτιθεῖς.
In further reference to τιμή = ";honour,"; ";esteem,"; we may cite from the inscrr. Priene 105.16 (c. B.C. 9) (= OGIS 458), where things are said to have been so arranged according to the divine will, ἵνα ἀφορμὴ γένοιτο τῆς εἰς τὸν Σεβαστὸν τιμῆς, ";that there may be an opportunity of paying honour to the Emperor (Augustus)"; : cf. 1 Timothy 1:17, Revelation 4:9, al., and see Rouffiac Recherches, p. 11. In C. and b. i. p. 101 Ramsay notes that in Phrygia the erection of a gravestone is regarded as ";a distinction and prerogative (τιμή) of the dead man and living god.";
(2) ";price,"; as in Matthew 27:6 : P Petr II. 38 (b).2 (iii/B.C.) προσπέπτωκέ μοι. . . τὸ ἔλαιον π [ωλ ]εῖσθαι πλείονος τιμῆς τῆς ἐν τῶι προστάγμα [τι ] διασεσαφημένης, ";it has transpired to me that oil is sold at a higher price than that fixed in the Royal decree"; (Ed.), P Lond 42.17 (B.C. 168) (= I. p. 30, UPZ i. p. 300, Selections, p. 10) εἰς πᾶν τι ἐληλυθυῖα διὰ τὴν τοῦ σίτου τιμήν, ";having come to the last extremity because of the high price of corn,"; P Fay 11.30 (c. B.C. 115) πραχθῆναί μοι αὐτὸν τ [ὴ ]ν ὡρισμέν [η ]ν τειμὴν τῆς ἀρ (τάβης), ";that he shall be made to pay me the price fixed for each artaba"; (Edd.), BGU IV. 1205.18 (B.C. 28) πέπομφά σοι τιμὴν τοῦ ἐνκοιμήτρου (δραχμὰς) ρ ̄κ ̄, ib. 1206.14 (B.C. 28) διανδραγα [θ ]ε ̣ῖτε ἐν τῆι εἰσαγῆι τῆς τιμῆς [τ ]οῦ φακοῦ καὶ ὀλώρας, P Ryl II. 229.13 (A.D. 38) τοῦ λοιπ (οῦ) τῆς τιμῆ (ς) τοῦ χόρτου πρόχρησον ἕως οὗ παραγένωμαι, ";as to the rest of the price for the hay make provision until I come"; (Edd.), P Fay 122.10 (c. A.D. 100) ἕως ἀπολαβὼν τὸ λοιπὸν τῆς τιμ [ῆ ]ς πάλιν σοι γράψω, ";until I get the remainder of the price and write to you again"; (Edd.), ib. 90.18 (A.D. 234) τὴν ἐπὶ τοῦ καιροῦ ἐσο (μένην) πλ [ί ]στην τει (μήν), ";the highest current price at the time being"; (Edd.), P Grenf II. 67.18 (A.D. 237) (= Selections, p. 109) ἀραβῶνος [τῇ τ ]ιμῇ ἐλλογουμέν [ο ]υ ̣ σ ̣[ο ]ι ̣ ";earnest money to be reckoned by you in the price,"; ib. 77.17, .18 (iii/iv A.D.) (= Selections, p. 121) τιμ (ὴ) φαρμάκου. . . τιμ (ὴ) οἴνου, ";the price of medicine . . . the price of wine,"; in a note of funeral expenses.
Swete suggests that there may be a play on the double sense of τιμή in Ev. Petr. 3 where the multitude are described as scourging Jesus and saying Ταύτῃ τῇ τιμῇ τιμήσωμεν τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ θεοῦ, ";with this honour let us honour,"; or ";at this price let us apprize, the Son of God.";
For τίμημα see P Grenf II. 67.12 (hire of dancing girls—A.D. 237) (= Selections, p. 108) ὑπὲρ τιμήμα [τος ] πασῶν τῶν ἡμερῶν [πυρο ]ῦ ἀρτάβας γ ̄, ";by way of payment for the whole period three artabae of wheat,"; PSI IV. 313.5 (iii/iv A.D.) τὸ συνφωνηθὲν τίμημα μ [ετ ]αξὺ μαρτύρων, and for τίμησις see ib. 327.10 (B.C. 259–8) τίμησ ̣ις ἣν ἐλάβομεν παρὰ Βουβάλου. Note also the adj. πρόστειμος (not in LS8) in P Ryl II. 244.14 (iii/A.D.) πάντα γὰρ πρόστειμα γέγονεν, ";for everything has risen in price"; (Edd.).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Third Week after Epiphany