Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3582 - כָּחַד
1) to hide, conceal, cut off, cut down, make desolate, kick
1a1) to be hidden
1a2) to be effaced, be destroyed, be cut off
1b) (Piel) to cover, hide
1c1) to hide
1c2) to efface, annihilate
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
כָּחַד unused in Kal; kindred root כָּחַשׁ, prob. to deny, to disown, i.q. Eth. ከሕደ፡ and Arab. جحد.
[“This root, like כָּהַשׁ and כָּחַל, appears to have had the signification of covering, covering over; and this idea was partly transferred to that of denying (in כָּחַשׁ, כָּחַד), and partly to that of smearing over (in כָּחַל).” Thes.]
(1) to deny, to disown, followed by an accus. Isaiah 3:9; Job 6:10.
(2) to cover, to hide, Job 27:11; Psalms 40:11, followed by an accus. of the thing and לְ (Psalms 40:11) or מִן of pers. to conceal from any one, Joshua 7:19; 1 Samuel 3:17, 17 1 Samuel 3:17; Jeremiah 38:14, 25 Jeremiah 38:25.
(1) to hide, Job 20:12
(2) to cut off, to destroy, i.q. ἀφανίζειν, as a people, Exodus 23:23; Zechariah 11:8.
(1) pass. of Piel, No. 1, 2 Samuel 18:13; Psalms 69:6, 139:15 Hosea 5:3.
(2) pass. of Hiphil No. 2, Job 4:7, 15:28 22:20, with the addition of the words from the earth, Exodus 9:15.
the Week of Proper 6 / Ordinary 11