the Fifth Week of Lent
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #5116 - נָוָה
1) abode, habitation, abode of shepherds or flocks, pasture (noun masculine)
1a) abode (of sheep)
1b) abode (of shepherds)
2) dwelling, abiding (adjective)
1305) fn (נו NW) AC: Dwell CO: Abode AB: ?
J) efn (נוה NWH) AC: Dwell CO: Abode AB: ?: A place of beauty and comfort where one resides for a long period of time.
V) efn (נוה NWH) - Dwell: KJV (2): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hophal) home, habitation - Strongs: H5115 (נָוָה)
Nm) efn (נוה NWH) - Abode: The dwelling place of man (home) , god (mountain) or animal (pasture or stable) . KJV (36): habitation, fold, dwelling, sheepcote, comely, stable, pleasant, tarried - Strongs: H5116 (נָוָה)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1. a. adode, of sheep 2 Samuel 7:8 ("" מֵאַחַר הַצּאֹן) = 1 Chronicles 17:1; Isaiah 65:10 ("" רָבַץ); of people under figure of sheep Jeremiah 23:3; Jeremiah 49:20 = Jeremiah 50:45,19; Ezekiel 34:14 (twice in verse) ("" רָבַץ, מִרְעֶה); of camels Ezekiel 25:5 ("" מִרְבַּץ צאֹן).
b. adode of shepherds Jeremiah 33:12 (+ מַרְבִּיצִים צאֹן).
c. = meadow, in figure of Ephraim planted (שָׁתוּל) as tree Hosea 9:13.
2 habitation, usually of country, or of domains in the country (chiefly in poetry), Job 5:3; Job 8:6 (נְוַת צִדְקֶ֑ךָ, see above), Proverbs 21:20; "" אֹהֶל Job 5:24; Job 18:15; "" בַּיִת Proverbs 3:33; "" רֵבֶץ Proverbs 24:15; of ׳י in Canaan 2 Samuel 15:25; of Can. as place of ׳י s sanctuary, קָדְשֶׁ֑ךָ׳נ Exodus 15:13; figurative of ׳י himself, צֶדֶק׳נ Jeremiah 50:7; habit. of nation Jeremiah 10:25; Jeremiah 25:30; Isaiah 32:18 (שָׁלוֺם׳נ), Psalm 79:7; = city Isaiah 27:10, especially Jerusalem Isaiah 33:20 (שַׁאֲנָן׳נ, "" אֹהֶל); אֵיתָן׳נ Jeremiah 49:19 (figurative of Edom) = Jeremiah 50:44 (of Babylonian ); of land of Israel, צֶדֶק׳נ Jeremiah 31:23 ("" הַר הַקֹּדֶשׁ). Twice of habitation of jackals Isaiah 34:13; Isaiah 35:7 (both "" חָצִיר).
II. [נָוֶה] adjective dwelling, abiding; — only (si vera lectio) נְוַת בַּיִת Psalm 68:13 she that is adiding at home. — נָוָה Jeremiah 6:2 see נָאוֶה below [נָאָה].
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
נָוָה i.q. נָאָה
(1) to sit down, to rest; Habakkuk 2:5, גֶּבֶר יָהִיר וְלֹא יִנְוֶה “he is a proud man and does not rest,” but seeks disturbances and wars. Also to dwell; see נָוֶה, נָוָה.
(2) to be decorous, becoming (how this idea is connected with that of sitting down has been shown above under the root נָאָה Pilel).
Hiphil, to adorn (with praises), to celebrate; Exodus 15:2, אַנְוֵהוּ LXX. δοξάσω αὐρόν. Vulg. glorificabo eum. Hence
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.