Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #8433 - תּוֹכַחַת
1) rebuke, correction, reproof, punishment, chastisement
2) argument, reproof
2a) argument, impeachment
2b) reproof, chiding
2c) correction, rebuke
1238) hk (כהה KHh) AC: Chastise CO: Firm AB: ?: The pictograph k is a picture of the palm of the hand, the h is a picture of a wall. Combined these mean "palm wall". To correct or chastise with a firm hand.
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
תּוֹכַחַת f. with suff. תּוֹכַחְתִּי, pl. תּוכָחוֹת (from the root יָכַח).
(1) the act of arguing, shewing and maintaining the right, Judges 16:6. Pl. arguments, Job 23:4.
(2) arguing down, contradicting, Psalms 38:15; Proverbs 29:1, אִישׁ תּוֹכָחוֹת “a man who opposes in speaking,” one who likes to speak against, positive in assertions (others take it from signif. 3, who is often corrected).
(3) rebuke, correction by words, Proverbs 1:23, 25, 30 3:11 5:12 27:5 29:15. Plur. תּוֹכְחוֹת מוּסָר rebuke joined with correction. Proverbs 6:23. Once used of reproof (from God), complaint, Habakkuk 2:1.
(4) punishment, chastening, Psalms 73:14. Pl. Psalms 39:12; Ezekiel 5:15 תּוֹכְחוֹת חֵמָה Ezekiel 25:17.
the Fifth Week after Easter