Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #8505 - תָּכַן
1) to regulate, measure, estimate, ponder, balance, make even, level, weigh, be equal, be weighed out, test, prove
1a) (Qal) estimate (participle)
1b1) to be estimated
1b2) to be made even or right, be adjusted to the standard
1c) (Piel) to weigh out, mete out
1d1) to be weighed out, be measured out
1d2) measured out (participle)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) pr. to make even, to level (kindred to תָּקַן). See Niphal.
(2) to poise, to weigh (from the equilibrium of the balance); metaph. to prove, try, examine, Proverbs 16:2, תֹּכֵן רוּחוֹת יְהֹוָה “Jehovah proves the spirits;” Proverbs 21:2, 24:12.
Niphal, prop. to be levelled, made even, as a way; figuratively, to be right, as a course of acting (compare יָשַׁר), Ezekiel 18:25, 29 Ezekiel 18:29, 33:17, 20 Ezekiel 33:20; 1 Samuel 2:3. Compare תָּכַן.
(1) to weigh, e.g. waters, Job 28:25 hence to prove, to examine Isaiah 40:13.
(2) to measure, Isaiah 40:12, “who hath measured heaven with a span?” in the other member there is מָדָד, שָׁקַל.
(3) to set up, to fix, by a level, Psalms 75:4.
Pual, part. to be weighed out (money), 2 Kings 12:12.
Derivatives, תֹּכֶן, תָּכְנִית, מַתְכֹּנֶת.
the Second Week of Advent