Click to donate today!
Reign of Ahaziah
This chapter reproduces with some differences 2 Kings 8:24-29 and 2 Kings 11:1-3 (the intervening chapters being omitted because they relate exclusively to Israel).
2. Forty and two] This must be an error, for his father was only 40 when he died (2 Chronicles 21:20). 2 Kings 8:26 has ’twenty-two.’
6. Azariah] An error for ’Ahaziah,’ which LXX has.
7. Had anointed] see 2 Kings 9:1-10.
8. The sons of the brethren, etc.] i.e. of the elder sons of Jehoram who were killed by the Arabians (2 Chronicles 21:17). If Jehoram was only 40 at his death (2 Chronicles 21:20), his grandsons at this time (2 Chronicles 22:2) must have been quite young children.
9. He was hid in Samaria] 2 Kings 9:27 states that he was mortally wounded in his chariot when escaping from Jehu, and died at Megiddo.
They had slain.. they buried] The first verb refers to the emissaries of Jehu, the second to the servants of the murdered Ahaziah. To keep still] i.e. to retain.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Chronicles 22". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19