Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
An Ode on the Humiliation of Babylon
1-15. The coming calamity. The reason of Babylon’s fall. Her helplessness to avert it.
2. Grind] i.e. as a slave (Exodus 11:5).
Uncover, etc.] RV ’remove thy veil, strip off the train, uncover the leg.’ The overthrow of the city is set forth under the figure of a maiden carried away into slavery. Pass over] on the way to exile.
3. Will not meet, etc.] RV ’will accept no man,’ i.e. none shall be spared.
6. Babylon is to be thus punished because, when the Jewish exiles were in her power, she had treated them cruelly (Zechariah 1:15), and in her false security she acted as though irresponsible (Isaiah 47:7-8). Polluted] i.e. treated as common, RV ’profaned.’
9. Perfection for] ’full measure in spite of.’ Sorceries] Babylon was renowned in the ancient world for astrology, and for the practice of all kinds of magic.
11. From whence it riseth] RM ’how to charm it away.’
12. Stand.. with] i.e. persist in.
13. See on Isaiah 47:9.
14. There shall not be] ’it shall not be,’ i.e. it will not be like a fire on the hearth, but a devouring conflagration.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Isaiah 47". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13